Leaves a rough finish

Review by DurocShark posted 1050 days ago 4008 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Leaves a rough finish Leaves a rough finish Leaves a rough finish Click the pictures to enlarge them

Haven’t seen anybody review this, so I thought I’d give it a go. I posted it on my blog a while back, but nobody reads that. ;-)

I’d been looking at this sharpener for years at HF. Sending my carbide blades out can get expensive so I needed a way to do the work myself. You can only block the teeth with a diamond card so many times…

I picked it up on sale for $59.

When I got it and tried to set it up, I found the instructions accurate but not terribly helpful. So I thought I’d try it out on an old rusty blade that came with an old Rockwell saw I restored a while back. The teeth were rusted and nasty looking. A perfect guinea pig!

The sharpener is VERY fiddly to set up. I’d take more care with a real blade (you can see I cut under the tooth in the pic), but even getting that far took a while. I suppose any sharpener would be that way, but better instructions might help.

The diamond blade is WAY too coarse for a saw blade. As you can see in the pic the grooves are very visible. The tooth is NOT going to cut cleanly like that. If I was using the blade, I’d still have to hit it with a diamond card to get anywhere close to a good cut.

After all that, the thing has been setting unused since. I’ve listed it on Craigslist for $25 and no takers. Maybe because I can’t say it works well in good conscience…

-- -Don

View DurocShark's profile

DurocShark

View Howie's profile

Howie

Thanks for the review. I had been eyeing this item for a while. Guess I better look elsewhere.

-- Life is good.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

I’m surprised to hear that HF would sell an inferior product ;-)

View DrSteve's profile

DrSteve

I have one of these. I bought it figuring I would sharpen the 20$ blades I use for cutting MDF and plywood. I found that once I get it set up it did a decent job for what I was asking. Hopefully, I will get to a place where the fiddling is minimal. I would NEVER think to use it on my high quality Ridge Line Blade. It has done a decent job getting a little extra life out of those disposable blades. Ya know you get what you pay for; what can you expect for 50$, but in my shop it has paid for itself

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2060 days

hmm any possibility of replacing the stock wheel with a finer one?

View slickSqueegie's profile

slickSqueegie

yeah, replace the wheel..
The luck I have had with Harbor freight is always hit and miss! but on some of those misses you can tweak it (replace the wheel) and may fix your issues!

-- Come check out more of my projects at http://www.mdwoodart.com

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

I have the same outfit and also only use it for the cheap blades.

I haven’t had any problems with the roughness of the diamond wheel, maybe as others have said, it’s just a bad wheel.

I bought mine from Empire Liquidators on eBay as a return and it came with two of each kind of wheel.

I also bought another one on eBay as parts in case something happened to the one I had. I ended up turning it into a stationary sanding disc set up by removing the housing and re-tapping the threads. Then I just screwed on an old Jacobs drill chuck and built a 6” plate for it. It works really really good for that purpose also.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2060 days

reminds me of twin peaks :-)

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

reminds me of twin peaks :-)

I think I knew her once!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Bilsharp's profile

Bilsharp

I have a sharpening business and have seen the machine you mention at my local Harbor Freight store. I can tell just be looking at the display model that it’s crude, to say the least. In order to sharpen a carbide blade properly, it takes a machine with the capability to face, top and side grind with precision settings. The diamond wheel on the HF machine could be used for sawing masonry but not for any sort of precision grinding.

I also have a Chicago Electric chainsaw sharpener that was given to me (another Harbor Freight product) that I tried to use to grind the rakers on chains. Again not a precision machine, contains too much plastic in the body and some of the moving parts. The stop finger is flimsy and allows the chain to shift. If the chain shifts when grinding .025” off the raker, I wouldn’t trust it to accurately sharpen the cutters.