Great little Jointer

Review by zer0bot posted 1090 days ago 6890 views 2 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great little Jointer Great little Jointer Great little Jointer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I decided last night that I could not live without a jointer for a gate project I am working on but did not want to spend the money on a larger jointer as my wife just started her own business last year so I did some searching and came across this little guy on sale at sears.

Regularly $209 but on sale online for $169.57 right now. got it home and set up was a breeze. It was also easy to get the granite fences nice and true.
Within about 45 minutes I was jointing boards and so far it works perfectly.
I have not used it as a planer nor will I probably except maybe to update this review.

Not sure I would have paid $209 for it as for a couple of hundred more you can get a decent floor jointer but at $209 I still think it is a decent deal if this size is more what you are looking for.

It also come with 2 push blocks that look decent but I have at least 5 others that I would use first but it is nice that it come with them.

Below are the specs from the Sears site and I will update this review if I run into any problems with it.

Features: 7.5 Amp Universal motor, 120VAC, 60Hz
Granite Table and fence provides a flat, smooth, hard surface for more accurate cuts
Fence adjusts from 90° to 45° for chamfer and bevel cuts
Cutterhead rotates at 9,250 RPM giving you precision milled edges
2-HSS blades are reversible which reduces downtime for blade changes, produces 18,500 CPM
Rear dust collection chute fits 2-1/2” wet/dry vac hose (not included)
Weight: 57lbs / 25.91 kgs
Some Assembly Required
1 year general warranty
Included Accessories: Push Blocks

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Nice review and heads up on the price. I’m considering this one too. I build small boxes so the biggest piece I’d run over it would be 3”x24”. Seems like a good match.

How’s the fence?

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

zer0bot

The fence is alot nicer than I expected.
It is not that tall but I have had good results so far with truing 11inch wide planks that are about 6 feet long.

I think it would be a good fit for what you need.

I forgot to mention that the price I listed was the online price but you can buy it online and pick it up instore(what I did).

You can also get 5 dollars more off with this coupon code: SEARS5OFF50

View wildbill001's profile

wildbill001

At that price it is almost cheaper to toss it when the blades get dull than to fight putting in replacements. 8-)

I’ve been eyeing one of these for some time but gotta get a new lathe first.

Bill

-- "You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back" -- Unknown

“I have not used it as a planer nor will I probably except maybe to update this review”

Are you saying that this converts into a planer somehow ?

Hey Dusty
You can use it as a small surface planer like in the below picture

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for the well written review.

I’ve heard that the motors in these small bench top jointers do not hold up well. I hope you will update your review after a year or more to let us know how well this one is holding up.

poopiekat

For the sake of counterpoint….these tabletop models, as Rich has observed above, have a so-called ‘universal’ motor. They function at high speed, and the vibration and unbelievable high-decibel noise will drive you crazy. For those of you who are considering a small jointer, you can generally find one of those old cast-iron belt-driven models with a nice big motor mounted below. These old ones purr like a kitten when they are running, and they are a joy to use. I could not recommend this Craftsman jointer in good conscience to anyone; much less give it 5 stars.

richgreer , “well written review” ??
All he actually told us is that he got it on sale and it took him “about 45 minutes to set it up”. The rest of the “review” is copied online spec’s. This is more of a tool gloat than anything…
How can you rate something as 5 star material when you just took it out of the box “last night” ?
My Delta benchtop was ”great” until I needed to change/adjust the blades and then found out that the tables were warped and the fence wouldn’t stay at 90degrees , etc.,etc.. What did I know , being a newbie myself at the time ?
You really need to use a tool before “reviewing” it.

poopiekat is right about the old iron….I picked up a 6” Delta jointer, motor and all for $100 less than I paid for the POS benchtop Delta , AND it still purrs like a kitten after 20 years of owning it : ) Bought it off of an old gent who bought it back in the ‘50’s. good stuff : ) The benchtop model is just collecting dust under my bench because I couldn’t bear to sell it to anyone else.

Dusty

I am not sure how much better of a review I could have written.
I detailed how much I got it for, went through how difficult/long it was to initially set up and how hard it was to get it all dialed in. I posted pictures of the blades and how the dust port was situated.

I used it for about 5 hours total on varying boards from 3 inches wide to 12 inches wide.

I did use the tool before “reviewing” it. I wanted to post my “review” so that anyone that was interested it a smaller bench top jointer could maybe pick one up on sale. Not everyone has the space or desire for a floor standing unit.

I am not sure what else you wanted from my “review”, I guess I should have waited a year or 2 to review it so that a newer version could be out instead and this one would be discontinued.

poopiekat
Mine does not have very much vibration if any really. While it is loud it is not something I would describe as unbelievable high-decibel noise.

I gave this 5 stars because I was pleasantly surprised of how well it worked and I could not think of anything I would expect to be better for the price.

I would also recommend to someone that is not wanting a larger jointer and would be using it more as a hobbyist but that is just my opinion.

review:
1. To look over, study, or examine again.
2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.
3. To examine with an eye to criticism or correction.

Please tell us how you used it on 12” wide boards , as stated above. Were they 4” thick ?
Reread your “review’ and tell me that I didn’t sum it up in my first comment .ie: I got it on sale and it took about 45 minutes to set it up.The rest of your words state nothing about the machine, except the recopied spec’s.

poopiekat

The temptation, when I see a review like this, is to try and ‘test’ the reviewer. I’m guessing that zerobot has little, if any, experience with ANY jointer. There was certainly no comparative comments about the performance of this machine versus other jointers, anyway. THAT is how a good review is written! I’m more certain that zerobot is hoping that his selection of an entry-level cheapie will be validated here. My main concern is that less experienced neophytes will see this review and get stuck with a similar inferior jointer. This is why a review, if it is to have merit, should be written by persons with a broad range of experience with other brands/models of similar machinery, so that issues of safety, features to specifically look for, reliability, and level of quality of finished output on various species of wood can be discussed. It was like the HF lathe review posted here some time ago, the first sentence began, ” I never used a lathe before, but …..” How much credibility is there?

View derosa's profile

derosa

poopiekat, there can be the issue that professionals can have too much experience to properly review such an item, I see it all the time in the bicycle industry. The professionals spend so much time with such superior equipment that they can’t see that not everyone needs whatever is best.
Yes a 800.00 (random comparison point) machine will be significantly better with speed settings, easier to set up, and all kinds of conveniences that make this model such an inferior piece of crap. However, the professional that you require for validation isn’t asking, “is this good value for the money for an item that I might use a dozen times and never look at again?” It’s all well and good to tout the value of more expensive, more technological or, in the case of the reviewer, more experienced but those tend to overlook the people who just need an item they can afford, when they they can afford it, and only need real limited use.
Try not to disparage someone for trying to give an honest review from their perspective just cause it isn’t to the standards that you would prefer.

And honestly, if you’re looking for a serious, in-depth review with comparisons and such, why would you even look at this machine. To the OP, I hope it gives you all the use you need.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse

poopiekat

derosa: You misunderstood the point I was trying to make. A five-star review when the item was just barely out of the box? The experienced woodworker will just roll his/her eyes. But some neophytes come to the Lumberjock site specifically to get answers about which tools to buy to outfit their workshop. Letting this review stand as good reference information for people new to the hobby is simply not a good idea, hence the counterpoint that I made above. A few of us posted alternative views, which will hopefully influence novice woodworkers to at least consider other options rather than Sears’ loss-leader retailing. Heck, you even said,” conveniences that make this model such an inferior piece of crap” so I guess you’re endorsing my own words in a way, and I appreciate that.

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

Poopiekat: Your tough and unforgiving , but you may be right.

Derosa: You are definitly right. I have had the same experience in the same indusrty. I think this attitute does prevail in all endevours.

Speaking as one of the “Neophytes” (which sounds like your insulting me, if i didn’t know what it ment) I think Poopiekat has a vailid point. How can anyone truly take a review seriously if the user/reviewer has no prervious expericence using the tool at all and their tool is fresh out of the box.

ZerObot: thanks for the review. I did read your review but chose to buy another jointer. (Not becasue of your review) I have not read anything good about granite tops. Obviously flat, but chiping becomes an issue.

Thanks for the review. Don’t let the tough critisism deter you from future posts. I think there is some merit to any review.

-- Anthony