A Museum of early American tools

Review by mafe posted 954 days ago 2191 views 3 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Museum of early American tools A Museum of early American tools No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A Museum of early American tools
by: Eric Sloane

Again a book I was recommended, this time by our fellow LJ littlecope who got his from his father.

It is a book of illustrations with short texts that explains the tools and their use.
For those of us that are curious about old traditional hand tools, this book is a pearl, not only does it show us the tools and tell us the story, but it is also so beautifully illustrated that you can enjoy it as a art piece.

I do not have a lot of words, meaning I am speechless, this book is BEAUTIFUL and really interesting.

It is not woodworking learning book, but a book that shows you the tools used and types of tools, like a glimpse in history.

I love it, nothing less.

Here a site about Eric Sloane: http://www.ericsloane.com

Best thoughts,
Mads

View mafe's profile

mafe

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

11987 posts in 2596 days

Thanks for the review. Another book to add to my Amazon wish list.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View patron's profile

patron

i had this book once
got lost in the shuffle of life somewhere

we do owe much of it to you ‘foreigners’
(as that is where many of us came from)

and as always
new uses and challenges
create better tools for all

View Alster's profile

Alster

It’s one of my favorites, along with his “Age of Barns.” The illustrations are simply beautiful!

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Hi Mads, it is nice to have a book like that when they show you how the tools were constructed.
Thanks for sharing….........................Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!!

View saddletramp's profile

saddletramp

Mads, I’ve had a copy of that book for years now, great reference.

-- ♫♪♪♫♫ Saddletramp, saddletramp, I'm as free as the breeze and I ride where I please, saddletramp ♪♪♪♫♪ ...... Bob W....NW Michigan (Traverse City area)

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Mads, thanks for the review.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for the rewiew Mads
I didn´t expect you got it that fast :-) I have only come to place it on the wishlist …. LOL
and now bookmarked so I don´t forget the title :-)
do you have the Ibn number to the book

Dennis

View Schwieb's profile

Schwieb

1411 posts in 1960 days

Mads, I have this book along with 3 others by Eric Sloan: “A Reverence for Wood”, “Our Vanishing Landscape”, and “Diary of an Early American Boy”. He wrote about a dozen books in the 50’s and 60’s. I cherish these books. This set came to me from my Father-in-law but my Dad had a set that went to one of my brothers. They are simple, appropriately illustrated, and enjoyable books to read.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

I’ve got this book right on my bedside table Mads. It really is fantastic! So nice to see the hand drawn illustrations.

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

I have yet yo read this one.
‘A Reverence for Wood’ made me feel the same way you describe your feeling about this little treasure. I was speechless!
When i finished the book I put it down and just sat and thought about all the knowledge that we have lost. Mostly we have lost the desire to know aobout thing that matter, and pass on important worldly knowledge.

Thanks for the review. I will make sure to pick this little gem up.

-- Anthony

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Sloan has a boxed set that includes this book. I love them all…

View littlecope's profile (online now)

littlecope

2784 posts in 2000 days

Glad you enjoyed it Mads!!
As I said, I would recommend any of his books…
The ones on Early Weather forecasting are fascinating as well… :)

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View pariswoodworking's profile

pariswoodworking

Thanks for the review Mads. I love hand tools so this book is going on by list.

-- Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

View mikejb1954's profile

mikejb1954

If I had that book I would probably never put it down.There is nothing more interesting than the story of how tools came to be.

View ropo71's profile

ropo71

...always great to see the past historical value of life being currently appreciated and admired.
Looks like beautiful illustrations….thank you for the review & suggestion! :)

-- Robin, NC