light and strong

Review by dlgWoodWork posted 03-01-2008 03:45 AM 3379 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
light and strong No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This drill is great. It has plenty of power. The best part is it only wieghs about 3 lbs. I bought this drill about one month ago. It seems like I haven’t put is down since. I looked over several drills before I bought this one. Most woodworkers can do fine with a 14.4v drill. I looked at several of them. I figured I could get one that wieghs less than a 14.4v, but was stronger at the same time. That is why I chose this.
Another cool feature is the LED light right above the trigger. I didn’t think this would be useful, just more of a gimmick. I was wrong. If you don’t have one on your current drill, you will notice a big difference on this. When I get into corners, or anywhere a little dark, the light really helps.
The batteries are Lithium-Ion which means they have no memory. They also only take 15 minutes to completely charge. You read that right 15 minutes. I was spectical about that as well. When I opened it, I charged both batteries. In about 28 minutes, both batteries were ready to go. That is the best on the market as far as I know.
If you are looking for a good cordless drill, I would highly recommend this one from Makita.

-- Check out my new woodworking blog: http://www.dlgwoodworkblg.com

View dlgWoodWork's profile

dlgWoodWork

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

#1 posted 03-01-2008 04:22 AM

I have this drill as well. I did have a problem with one of the batteries that came with it so I purchased a 3 ah battery. I really like it. I can use it a lot longer with less fatigue. The 3ah battery takes a little longer to charge but really lasts. I have put it through its paces a couple of time and never failed me.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View RobH's profile

RobH

#2 posted 03-01-2008 04:43 AM

I bought that drill with the impact driver in the kit. I love that impact driver. The drill I have not used that much, but I have not needed a drill that much since I bought it. I am sure I will fall in love with it too. I will get good use of both of them on the playground project.

-- -- Rob Hix, King George, VA

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#3 posted 03-01-2008 11:54 AM

Thanks for the review. There seems to be a swing back from the bigger, heavier drill drivers.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#4 posted 03-01-2008 12:04 PM

i want one… I am just waiting until lithium batteries get a little cheaper.

-- making sawdust....

View Bob's profile

Bob

#5 posted 03-04-2008 03:56 AM

I did away with an 18 volt DeWalt drill in favor of this one, only difference is mine is a 3 Ah 18 volt battery. Have ablsolutely no regrets. This is twice the drill in my opinion.

-- If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got.

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

#6 posted 03-04-2008 06:32 AM

Great review. nice ideas.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View Moron's profile

Moron

#7 posted 03-04-2008 06:41 AM

My brother just bought one and the Makita impact driver, both with that same battery.

Compared to all the others…................its the only one that I would have given 5 stars. Until I actually used it I would have never believed his “Raving Reviews”. ...............another on “my wish list”

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View dalec's profile

dalec

#8 posted 03-09-2008 12:02 AM

I agree with Dgunn

I have been eyeing the Makita Li-Ion 18 V Compact drill and impact driver set for a while now. I have been using my 9.6 V Makita cordless drill for what seems for ever. It keeps going. What finally got me to order mine was I was not able to get enough torque from the 9.6 V.

The Makita set arrived on last week and I had a chance to put both the drill and impact driver to work yesterday. Lots of torque, light weight, compact, the LED light is a real plus, overall pretty cool tools.

Dalec

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

#9 posted 06-29-2008 09:18 PM

I have the Drill/Driver set. Got them from the orange box for less than $300 for the pair. They are awsome. Light powerful rugged Wow. I especially like the driver. i never had one before. Puts screws into maple with out buggering up the screw slots, and does it pronto. The only thing is getting the keyless chuck on the drill tight enough. Any tips?

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2393 days

#10 posted 07-22-2008 12:02 AM

I have just bought the drill and inpact driver set and love them, they have completely changed the way that I work. Instead of banging in a couple of nails, It is far easier for me to put in screws which means that the joint is alot stonger :-)

Thanks

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

View Sam Fladung's profile

Sam Fladung

#11 posted 02-12-2009 06:11 AM

I bought the drill along with the impact driver (came at no additional cost due to a sale). Both the drill and the driver are extremely well engineered and a pleasure to use.

-- http://www.sfladung.com

View spclPatrolGroup's profile

spclPatrolGroup

#12 posted 07-20-2010 05:55 PM

By far the best drill I have ever used, the grip fits well, plenty of power, and I love the weight, I upgraded from a Ryobi one, I put both on my digital scale, the Makita was about 60% of the weight of the Ryobi, and ran circles around it as far as holding a charge. My only pet peve is there is no bit holder, and the white plastic gets stained from dirt grime, that I would rather not see.

-- Dave, from ND "The mind is an infinitely long workbench, and its cluttered with half-finished thoughts and ideas, sometimes we need to clear off the workbench and start again from step one."