Great little machine

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 1092 days ago 5715 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great little machine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this shaper for a little over 3years now. I bought this on a whim as I did not have a router table at the time. I never had the intention of using it as a shaper due to the cost of the cutters.

I found that if you want to use it as a router table, you have to install 5 spacers under the table to raise it up to work with router bits otherwise the bits are way to high to use. This is the hardest part of the assembly job. The cast Iron table is one heavy piece to handle and place the spacers and longer metric bolts.

The first time I used this was to cut a slot in a 48 inch 1×4 oak plank. I learned that if you don’t know what you are doing you get to have a permanently separated shoulder. Check. Yep I got that. It matches the left one I separated in a car roll over in 2005. Due to my lack of experience with shapers, I now have matching jacked up shoulders. BUT this is not the fault of the machine in any way.

After I recovered from my fear of this thing, I have found it to be a very useful tool in my shop. I love the cast Iron top as it makes very nice even cuts. The only thing I don’t care for is the stock fence. It has taken me a while to remedy the problem of the fence constantly loosening up and moving around the table. I now use two hardened metric bolts with hex heads that I tighten with my impact driver. Problem solved.

The 1 horse motor give more power that is actually needed and handles the 3 inch raised panel bits with ease, but at a very high rate of speed. I wish there was a speed control for this motor. I bought the router speed control from MLCS but then found out that the motor is not compatible with the speed control due to the capacitors in the motor.

I have lowered the stand 5 1/2 inches to be more compatible with my wheelchair and I use it as an out feed table for my table saw.

I needed a new nut for the collet. It was murder trying to get one from Harbor Freight. Fortunately this unit is identical to Grizzly’s 3/4 hp unit. Any thing in parts you need for this is available from Grizzly. Maybe I’ll paint this one Grizzly colors and order a new Grizz sticker. lol

So if any one is in the market for a router/shaper I highly recommend the Harbor Freight, or a Grizzly for that matter.

OK guys beat this double review of two manufactures and one machine. lol

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks for the heads up on the shoulder issue. I like mine flat and square the way they have always been ;-))

Are you saying this shaper takes router bits? Or did you have to modify it? 1/2” or both?

lilredweldingrod

Bob It comes with 1/4 and 1/2 inch colletes as well as the shapper spacers and shaft. You can use either, but you will have to wrestle the cast top to either add or remove the 1/2 spacers under the table.

View dustprocrastinator's profile

dustprocrastinator

Seems like a solid machine, case in point your separated shoulder. Thanks for the double review.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Did that come from Harbor Frt… or am I thinking of something else?

Looks like a good machine…

Better than a Router?

lilredweldingrod

Yes Joe. I bought it at good ole Harbor Freight. They do have some good products, but you have to be careful.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Shaper vs Router…

Pro’s:

Con’s:

Thanks.

View RichTes's profile

RichTes

It looks like the small Delta/Rockwell shaper (cast iron top, 1/2” spindle). They were a pretty solid little machine.

TopamaxSurvivor

Rand, I googled your part number with Harbor Freight. I got three Harbor Freights near Pleasant Grove, CA instead of a shaper ;-)) I found it, but I decided I don’t use my routers enough to get one for $300. Not to mention, no room. Hope I get my router table added to my table saw one of these days ;-)

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Hmmm. Pleasant Grove is about 15 minutes from my house in Northern, Ca. I think Rand is alot further south.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

TopamaxSurvivor

Part # @ HF just happens to be thier zip code ;-)

lilredweldingrod

Bob, it is a very small package and I use it as much as i do my PC7815 in the Woodpecker PRL V2. It only needs floor space of 1 1/2 feet by 2 feet and a 110v plug in.

Wayne, I’m a lot further south. I’m 2 blocks form hell. lol

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Nice looking little machine for a home shop. I don’t have any more room for anything else. I wish I could add 12 more feet to my shop and also a storage shed.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

385 posts in 2084 days

I have a Shop Fox 3 hp shaper, two Shop Fox 2 hp shapers with power feeders, and I have a 1 hp Shop Fox shaper (exactly like this one). I use the 1hp shaper with router bits and it’s AWESOME. And then of course the 2 and 3 hp with shaper cutters. Each has it’s own specific job, each are wonderful machines.
Great review!