Veritas Cornering tool

Review by TopamaxSurvivor posted 09-03-2011 07:27 AM 3166 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Cornering tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this tool for a few years. I use it quit a bit. I never seem to like the feel of it, just me I guess. It works very well if I keep my wits about myself. If I don’t, I end up cutting into the grain opening a big sliver on the edge I am trying to round over. The two tools have 4 radius options, 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. I usually opt for one of the smaller ones. Tonight I was breaking the edge on a pine shelf board. It does a good job very quickly and saves setting up the router, burning the edges making more work for myself ;-)) I’m giving it 5 starts for an economical tool that does a good job very quickly and with very little effort.

Edit: I am surprised it has not been reviewed before!!

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1388 days

#1 posted 09-03-2011 09:11 AM

Perfect Timing and great review. I have never seen these, but this very night while building a lathe stand, I tried to round over around the corner (at the router table) on a piece of 2×6 and it both chunked out and burned it. I had to sand it to make it a little better.

I will be adding this to the arsenal. Thanks.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#2 posted 09-03-2011 10:46 AM

ya i have seen these and always wondered.

-- Ben L

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#3 posted 09-03-2011 11:38 AM

Picked up two sets some years ago, a clone set from a bbs that realy worked well, and still does, then the Veritas set..both work like a darn..gee just realized, not a “few” years ago, I used then for porch rail roundovers on the new house..21 years ago.. From my Stanly research, looks like another design resurected for today’s user and very well done as well. a bit challenging to resharpen though.

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#4 posted 09-03-2011 11:48 AM

Thanks

I’ve also wondered about these.

-- Joe

View Toolz's profile

Toolz

#5 posted 09-03-2011 01:06 PM

I’ve had mine since about 1997. Use them constantly. Like you said much faster than setting up the router table. You just really have to pay attention to grain direction or you will screw up your edge. Thanks for the review.

-- Larry "Work like a Captain but Play like a Pirate!"

#6 posted 09-03-2011 03:23 PM

Great review on a nice small tool.

View patron's profile

watch the grain direction

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

#8 posted 09-03-2011 03:44 PM

I have had a set for about two years and they are perfect to grap and knock off corners. I really like them. YES, grain direction will bite you so go lightly at first.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View jimp's profile

jimp

#9 posted 09-03-2011 07:26 PM

How hard are they to sharpen?

-- - Jim, Carroll, OH

#10 posted 09-03-2011 07:34 PM

They sharpen faily well with a curved slip stone.

#11 posted 09-03-2011 07:37 PM

I might add, I have not used them on hardwood like oak but a time or 2. If I had a lot of hardwood to round off, I would probably use my router. Maybe some of the other guys have more experience with hard wood??

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#12 posted 09-03-2011 11:19 PM

thank´s for the rewiew :-)

Dennis

View joseff's profile

joseff

#13 posted 09-04-2011 06:27 AM

Thanks for the review. I got mine about two months ago and they work fine with me. You really have to watch where you’re going as to grain direction.

I’ve already used them on Ebony and they worked pretty well as soon as I discovered the grain direction amid the darkness of the wood.

View studie's profile

studie

#14 posted 09-04-2011 06:44 AM

Not like em, but that was 15 years ago. I don’t think I new about the grain direction then so will dig them out and sharpen em up. I guess starting out with the 1/16 would show you the grain issues before going w/larger sizes.

-- $tudie

#15 posted 09-04-2011 07:43 AM

When did you start wood working Scot? I thought you were a lifelong carpenter/woodworker? If you are going very fast where the grain switches on you, you can raise a bad sliver real quick!! I ususlly watch for grain swaps and go both ways around it.