Good Price Great Stand

Review by Chipy posted 08-31-2011 03:08 PM 3324 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Price Great Stand No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have seen a few reviews on Lumber Jocks ware the reviewer posted a review on a tool that has been owned for a few years and I thought, boy that makes a lot of sense. When you have had the tool for a few years I think you get to know the good the bad and ugly and sometimes great with more certainty.
Today I am reviewing a Delta mobile miter saw/planer tool stand. I have also have seen this stand under the Porter Cable brand name. Although it sells under two names I am 90% sure they are the same stand. I bought my stand at Lowes for $189 and the price has changed little if not at all. I think price is very reasonable considering two factors.1.This stand is built toughly. 2.It carries the best price in the mobile stand category Ridgid $599.99,Makita $299.99,Bosch $209.99 and Festool $800.00. But price is not everything that this stand has to offer.
By now should be able to tell that I really like this tool stand. I have owned my stand for 4years and it still works and looks just about how I bought it. Features…..The stand is built well with heavy gage steel tubing, good quality rubber wheels with a strong hubs, all sharp ends covered with heavy plastic caps and covers witch I have not lost one yet. I have abused this stand in the field in and out of the pickup multitudes of times. It is very easy to load if you need to take it on the road, you just lay the non wheel end on the tail gate and it slides right in. This stand has a hydraulic cylinder on the lifting mechanism to dampen the rate which it collapses’ so you don’t get your fingers caught any were on the stand. There are two roller work supports that open up to 8 feet or so plenty long enough for base board or crown molding. The stand is primarily designed to accommodate a miter saw or planer but the mounting system is flexible enough to Fit just about any tool. You can adjust the mounting brackets both length wise and the brackets swivel 360%. When the stand is not being used it can be left in a vertical fashion saving room in the garage.
In closing the original reason I bought this stand was not for contractor style use but more as my portable miter station in my shop. I would love to build a permanent home for my miter saw but Living in Florida my shop space is at premium. Without a basement or an out building almost all my tools need to roll or be able to stow away. This stand gives me a comfortable work station while being able to fold up and stow away.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

#1 posted 08-31-2011 04:21 PM

Nice review!

I have the same stand for my 12” Hitachi CMS. It’s beefy and heavy, great for contractor use.

However, for the shop, I’m not crazy about it since, like any fold-away device, it wastes space when open. And, because I use the saw largely as a chop saw, the stand is too difficult to open and close (it’s heavy and clunky with a big saw on it) on a use-by-use basis.

To me, it makes more since to have a workstation-mounted CMS in the shop, but to have the stand in storage for when you need it away from the shop.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#2 posted 08-31-2011 06:06 PM

The Ridgid stand is well under $200, not $600. I think I paid $160 for mine a year or 2 ago. I like my Ridgid & the design seems pretty similar to that Delta of yours. I’m pretty sure mine doesn’t have a 360 swivel , which looking at your photos seems to save a good amount of space when stored upright. The slider CMS on mine takes up a large amount of room even when stored vertically, I think that swivel would help a bit on that front.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#3 posted 09-01-2011 03:07 AM

I’ve had this stand for several years… very sturdy and easy to move… now if only my miter saw were lighter!!!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#4 posted 09-01-2011 02:24 PM

I hear that ellen35!!! I gripe about a lot of tools but it is nice to sing the praises of one that has performed for years! My Dewalt is a lot lighter than the slider models and will cut 5.5 crown and base molding.