Precision at a Bargain Price

Review by Steven Davis posted 08-30-2011 01:01 AM 4306 views 3 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Precision at a Bargain Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you are like me, you see the pictures of the Incra Table Saw or Router fences, drool a bit, look at your wallet, sigh, and move on.

While trolling Craig’s List, I stumbled onto the Incra Jig.. for $30! I looked at the picture and, after my disappointment that someone was NOT selling the table saw system for $30 (HA!), I was pretty intrigued by the tool and did some Internet research…

Apparently, the Incra Jig (or Incra Universal Jig) was Incra’s first product.

It is a beautiful piece of engineering. 2 Pieces of very heavy duty plastic with numerous locations where you can mount the jig to other fixtures. 4 smaller pieces with saw teeth every 1/32 of an inch giving an overall accuracy of 0.001 inch allowing you to easily move through 8” very, very accurately.

It is the Incra Table Saw system at a bargain price (with caveats and some do-it-yourself-ness).

Very, very cool.

With 2, you can build a perfect grid on your drill press.

Apparently, there is a DVD (not with my ancient version) as well as a book you can get to create all sorts of crazy precision items.

Incra still sells them, but they are pretty well hidden on the site which is kind of sad.

They show up used on eBay, Craigs List, I’ve seen them on Amazon at $60… and there is a metric version as well.

I’m just starting with it, but I can tell you, I’m quite excited. I’ll provided more feedback later.

-- Steven Davis - see me at http://www.playnoevil.com/ and http://www.stelgames.com/

View Steven Davis's profile

Steven Davis

View Bob Collins's profile

Bob Collins

#1 posted 08-30-2011 01:48 AM

Thanks for the information Seve, have found a Inca products distributor in Australia. Next ti,e I’m in the city I will have a shop around the outlet.

-- Bob C, Australia. I love sharing as long as it is not my tools

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

402 posts in 1941 days

#2 posted 08-30-2011 03:19 AM

I bought a pair of these more than 25 years ago. From them I built my first router fence.

View JoeButler's profile

JoeButler

#3 posted 08-30-2011 03:27 AM

I love mine. I just wish I used it more often. I tend to forget how to use it inbetween uses and have to watch the DVD again each time to refresh my memory.

If you look at my projects, there is a jewelry box I made with it from plans in the Reference Guide.

Rockler still sell thems. Item #25971 for just the Jig and item #22221 for the Jig, Fence, Stop Block & Right Angle Fixture Combo Package. They also carry the Incra Master Reference Guide, item #36433. I have seen that Guide at Woodcraft also, but don’t think they carry the jig…but could be wrong.

When I got mine from Rockler several years ago, they had a special bundle that consisted of the Combo Package, a special router table top designed for that Incra Jig and a set of legs/wheels to go with the table top. (The one in the picture on the website.) All I had to add was a router and face plate. I don’t think they sell that table top anymore.

And no, I don’t work for Rockler/own stock. lol Just pointing out another place you can find one.

Joe

PS…you can watch a video on it’s operation on the Rockler website.

-- Joe

View mountainaxe's profile

mountainaxe

#4 posted 08-30-2011 06:08 AM

Nice setup. I purchased a Jointech cabinetmaker system in the mid 90s that is similar to the one made by Inca. Instead of plastic, Jointech used tooled steel and aluminum. Dead on accurate every time and incredibly simple to use. Too bad Jointech went belly up a few years ago…

-- Jeff, "The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."

15304 posts in 1935 days

#5 posted 08-30-2011 11:11 AM

Nice info, I love buying Incra products they’re very well made.

View gko's profile

gko

80 posts in 1991 days

#6 posted 08-30-2011 11:51 AM

I bought the Incra Jig several years ago and later took a chance and bought the The INCRA Master Reference Guide with Templates and found the templates work in the Incra Jig! I think they don’t want you to know that but it does and it opens a whole world of dovetail and box joints. If you have the Incra Jig buy the book. I like to hand cut my dovetails but turn to the jig when I get lazy. Played with the expensive ones and they are very easy to use, very smooth and you can fine tune stuff but the Jig will do the same thing at one tenth the cost.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View Howie's profile

Howie

#7 posted 08-30-2011 02:11 PM

Steve. I started with this system and it worked very well. Did everything they said it would do. In fact I still have it. When I upgraded I went for the super fence LS-25. Once you get to using it (takes a little playing with it) you will love it. Great score for 30 bucks.

-- Life is good.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#8 posted 08-30-2011 02:58 PM

Congrats on a great score.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#9 posted 08-30-2011 03:20 PM

I’ve had the $700 positioner in my Amazon cart for a few months now. My fiance’ hasn’t taken the hint;) Perhaps I should set my sights a bit lower? :)

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#10 posted 08-30-2011 04:37 PM

Joe, could you tell us (me) where to find the video on the Rockler site. I can find info on the jig, but no video. Thanks!!

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View JoeButler's profile

JoeButler

#11 posted 08-30-2011 07:06 PM

sikrap,

Click on the “Videos” tab and then the link that is there. It’s not much of a video…just basically here’s what it can do…it doesn’t go into very much detail.

“Incra Jig Video”: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11494&filter=incra

Joe

-- Joe

View doyoulikegumwood's profile

doyoulikegumwood

#12 posted 08-31-2011 06:01 AM

I’ve used the incra jig for years i have sense upgraded to an early version of the ultra light. On incras web site they have a ton of videos that are a wealth of knowledge. the afore mentioned ” The INCRA Master Reference Guide with Templates” is an absolute must and can be purchased at rockler and woodcraft. I have a leigh D1600 dovetail jig but i find for projects with large amounts of drawers the incra is the way to go for the simple fact that you can stack up a lot of your tail boards and cut them ll in a few runs thought the router.

good luck with your score

-- I buy tools so i can make more money,so ican buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tool, so I can work more

View brtech's profile

brtech

#13 posted 09-02-2011 02:36 PM

Well ‘jocks, I though you all would take the hint, but no.

A sweet edition of the jig, WITH the video, fence, stop block and right angle, was on ebay, and I snarfed it for $32.50 + $11.50 shipping! Hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t know if there is anything wrong or missing, but that’s a deal.

There IS another one on ebay, but it’s just the jig. The only bid currently is $9.99 with $8.50 shipping

View RobbieC's profile

RobbieC

#14 posted 07-08-2013 07:04 PM

I have several Incra tools and they are precise and well-built.

View Bruce99's profile

Bruce99

#15 posted 10-21-2013 11:29 PM

Here is a way to build jigs at very low cost.
I have “discovered” that the pieces used in metal picture frame can be used as
T-tracks. They are made by the Neilsen company,
I have found six of these picture frames at Goodwill stores, for about 5 bucks each/
They are fastened by drilling holes into the lower part and then assembled to 3/4“ plywood or MDF. The top of a 1/4 “ hex bolt just happens to fit perfectly into the T track. This combination of simple and cheap parts formed the basis of the system that I use for
fences, table saw sled, and misc jigs
Once you get the technique, it is possible to build very sophisticated and accurate jigs
for 10 or 12 dollars. The possibilities are almost unlimited, and jigs can be very custom tai

lored for the job and equipment The pics show a table saw fence under construction.