DraftSight Review

Review by Ryan posted 1073 days ago 5985 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DraftSight Review DraftSight Review DraftSight Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am a huge fan of drafting out my ideas on a digital medium.. specifically DraftSight. Now for those of you who are unfamiliar with drafting programs, this is SketchUp drinking Red Bull while playing Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9. After saying this, I feel I must also state the learning curve (like playing Beethoven) is cruel to beginners. It’s fairly difficult to pick up with no background in drafting, but it’s also much more rewarding, and after learning the tricks to the program, it’s a very enjoyable task! It’s amazing being able to see something you’ve thought up literally come to life before you from a blank screen.

Saying this, if you are interested in either installing a drafting program to brush up on your skills or to learn how, then DraftSight is the perfect tool. This product is a free download, and it’s composed of the same components as AutoCAD (which costs money, but in my opinion is better than DraftSight due to added mobility) so it’s the perfect starter program. This is also an excellent introduction to 3D modeling programs (such as my favorite, SolidWorks!).

This will add an extra “dimension” (pardon the pun!) to your woodworking projects and more to show for it if you’re putting together portfolios for a budding business!

Oh, and I should add that I don’t work for any of the programs listed above (I wish though!)

View VinnieP's profile

VinnieP

141 posts in 1926 days

Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to check this out when I have some free time.

View schuft's profile

schuft

Looks kinda overkillish to me. On the other hand it’s available on Linux, which is rare, so I’ll give it a try.

Ryan

This can be overkill if you complicate things, but if you just have fun with it and use it to the degree you need, it can be one of your most powerful tools!

View Yannick's profile

Yannick

Can you share any of the drawings you did with it? I mean something related to a woodworking project you built.

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

Ryan, have you found that draftsight is better to use for 3d modeling than sketchup? If so, you also mention that your favorite is solidworks….. is that a free program also?

I already have autocad but as you know, 3d with autocad is a pain…..so how would you compare draftsight to solidoworks to sketchup ?

thanks…..Gene

-- Gene, Majestic Eagle Woodworks, http://majesticeagleww.etsy.com/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/majesticeagle/

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

So, does that mean it’s “like” Autocad? As in, if you know Autocad, you’ll be able to breeze right into this and churn out drawings immediately?

Oh, and way to be diplomatic: “Autocad costs money”. That’s like saying Niagara Falls is wet. ;D

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

Ryan

@Yannick Here are a few of the projects I’ve been working on:
Photobucket
This is a coffin I built for work with a false bottom to hide weapon caches
Photobucket
This is my main project right now

@majeagle1 So there isn’t any confusion, SolidWorks is a 3D drafting program, whereas the other two are not. Here are a few examples of finished, rendered projects done with SolidWorks:
Photobucket
My carving kit carrying case :)
Detail picture
Photobucket
Random shadowbox that I’ve actually changed quite a bit in the woodshop.
So SolidWorks is amazing for presentation, but it is expensive if you don’t have an educator’s license. There are free versions that you can request from the company, but they are watermarked so you cannot use them for business purposes.

@JJohnston When I say it’s “like” AutoCad, I mean it’s exactly the same. They run off of the same open-source programming.

Hopefully I answered all of the questions to the desired degree!