Choosing & Using Hand Tools

Review by Don W posted 1066 days ago 1153 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Choosing & Using Hand Tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this book for a plane ride home. Its probably more of a beginners book, but the pictures alone are worth the read. Andy Rae does a pretty good job describing tool, their uses, where to find them and how to use them.

He talks a little about the difference in buying new and used tools, and even gives some references for antique tool dealers.

He has a section on sharpening. Its not the most comprehensive book I’ve ever read, but it is well illustrated and covers all different kinds of tools from hammers to files, to hand planes.

He goes into the repair of tools, the different plane parts, how to fix a tote, how to sharpen saws and the list goes on.

Its a great primer, and well written. definitely worth reading.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Don W's profile

Don W

View Brit's profile

Brit

That was one of the first woodworking books I ever drooled over. The pages are well thumbed. Come to think of it, it is about time I looked at it again.

-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you for the review.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Don
I have the same book and just read it again this weekend on the train travel
its a great book to start with as you say :-)

Dennis

View mikejb1954's profile

mikejb1954

This looks like a book that I should read.But at 69 years old I am not sure how much I can learn or remember for that matter.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

just enjoy it its a great picturebook too :-)

Dennis

View Don W's profile

Don W

The book sits beside my bed. I will pick it up just to thumb through the pictures and re-read a paragraph or two, and I hope to be doing it well past 69 years old (which isn’t as far away as I’d like)

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com