Tools: Working Wood in Eighteenth-Century America

Review by mafe posted 08-20-2011 07:14 PM 1228 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tools: Working Wood in Eighteenth-Century America No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Tools: Working Wood in Eighteenth-Century America
By: James M. Gaynor, Nancy L. Hagedorn

ISBN-10: 0879350989
ISBN-13: 978-0879350987

This is a really interesting book telling and illustrating for us the history of woodworking tools in America (and Europe since it was where it came from).
The author’s document in a interesting way how the tools were traded, sold and show us selected tools of each period.
It is a orgy of wonderful old tools, tool boxes, tool chest’s and paintings, and through all this we get a glimpse of what happened, of the origin and

The book is around 100 pages so it is not a deeply going history book, but it gives you a fine understanding and a base to start from if you are interested in the historic side of wood working or perhaps like I have a soft spot for beautiful old tools full of soul, then I highly recommend it.

The best thoughts,

MaFe

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#1 posted 08-20-2011 08:12 PM

Don’t we all have that soft spot ?

;-}

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#2 posted 08-20-2011 09:33 PM

ha ha Glen :-)
thank´s for the rewiew Mads :-)
this will be on the wishlist from now on …......a historic picturebook is always nice to have :-)

take care
Dennis

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#3 posted 08-20-2011 11:29 PM

Thank You for including the ISBN numbers. Makes ordering a copy so much easier!

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#4 posted 08-21-2011 06:23 AM

It looks like a pretty good book.

Amazon link is

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

#5 posted 08-21-2011 05:49 PM

I will have to wander through these pages.

You have been reading quite a bit lately, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

#6 posted 08-21-2011 07:37 PM

Hi ho,
I have not been reading so much lately, just thought I needed to review some of the books I have read, I still have a good bunch of un reviewed books on the table, so more will come, I just need to be able to breathe again after my Anarchistic review… lol.
I have a big smile here today, thanks to you guys,
Mads

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

#7 posted 08-22-2011 02:21 AM

This is a good place to come for those who make you smile.

I hope some reviews on a few Underhill books are in the works. Based on your reviews lately I will make a recommend for Made By Hand, Furniture Projects from the Unplugged workshop, by Tom Fidgen.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

#8 posted 08-22-2011 09:17 AM

Looking forward to read that.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#9 posted 08-22-2011 01:19 PM

Thanks, Mads, it sounds like a very interesting book.

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

#10 posted 08-22-2011 02:18 PM

Thanks Mads, I will have to take a look at this book.

-- David in Damascus, MD