One square, two square...

Review by Bill Butler posted 03-01-2008 03:04 AM 6618 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One square, two square... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

...on your way to four-square, this jointer just can’t be beat.

I wasn’t looking for high end professional quality in a jointer, and I wanted something more than a benchtop unit.

I came across this jointer available at your local HD for $399. I decided to buy it based on the predominance of 4 and 5 star reviews at their site.

The unit is easy to assemble, however you should definitely have two bodies to handle delivery, and physical assembly. (I can pickup my DeWalt 735 planer by myselft and this guy was definitly a load) The manual is clear and well written. My friend and I had the unit up and running within 60 minutes.

One of the reviews at HD rated this unit poorly because of what he described as the unit’s tendency to clog with debris. One thing is certain. You do need a high quality DC when running this unit. I have mine hooked up to a Delta 50-760 and it clears beautiful.

Once powered up, the noise level is on a par with the DC as I can’t determine which I hear over the other.

The unit is solidly constructed, and appears to run vibration free.

Although I did a very perfunctory alignment tests, it seems to be spot on right out of the box. I didn’t have to tweak a thing.

View Bill Butler's profile

Bill Butler

View trifern's profile

trifern

#1 posted 03-01-2008 03:22 AM

Thanks for the review. This caught my eye today while I was wandering through HD. I wondered how it performs.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#2 posted 03-01-2008 03:47 AM

thanks for the review, Ill be getting a jointer someday soon I hope…

-- --Chuck

View Safetyboy's profile

Safetyboy

#3 posted 03-01-2008 06:18 AM

I bought the same one last month – I put it together by myself – NOT recommended – get some help! When I finally did get it all together, I noticed the outfeed table was 1/4” above the blades, and jammed so that I couldn’t adjust it. So, I had to take it all apart again, take it back to the store, and exchange it for another one (which to HD’s credit, they did with no problem).

My second one is running fine so far – it’s my first jointer, so I don’t have much to compare it too, but I like it. I find a mobile base is a definite need in my small garage shop.

-- -- Kevin in Mentor, Ohio

View Rxmpo's profile

Rxmpo

#4 posted 03-01-2008 07:59 AM

I have owned and used this jointer for almost 2 years and I could not say enough good things about it. Originally, I purchased the benchtop Delta JT160 which I returned after 2 days and I picked up this great tool for an additional $150. Worth every penny! Now, this is not an $800 8” jointer, but if you are looking for a rock solid tool without breaking the bank this is certainly an excellent asset. I give this jointer 5 stars without a doubt.

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

#5 posted 03-02-2008 05:46 AM

Mine came perfectly aligned as well. Even the stops on the fence for the various angles were spot on. A friend of mine gave me one of those digital angle finders several months after I got this jointer, and all the fence angles were still perfect. It will clog with shavings easily if you don’t have a dust collector attached; however, the plastic shroud will slide up to allow the dust/shavings to fall out more easily. Great machine!!! I love it.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#6 posted 03-02-2008 01:48 PM

This looks like a good candidate for when I upgrade from my bench top. Thanks for the review.

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

#7 posted 03-04-2008 03:57 AM

I do not yet own a Rigid jointer, but, some day I plan on replacing my vintage Craftsman jointer and this would certainly be my first choice. I already own the Rigid TS3650 table saw, TP1300LS planer, and their BS1400 band saw. I am very pleased every one of them. Thanks for the good review.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

#8 posted 03-18-2008 04:52 AM

Bill & Doug, I studied contractor saws until I was crazy in the head. I just wanted to make sure to get off on the right foot. Like you, I saw the 5 star reviews on the Ridgid tools, and decided to start with the TS3650 (had to replace the blade, though). I was so happy with it, I had to get the jointer, too. Both tools were right on the money after assembly and I still love them. Got a shop vac & drill press within the next year. By the way, I tried some $20-50 blades for the table saw and have to say that after going through the Forrest sweats ( I still get them sometimes), I ended up with the Ridgid T3 ATB. It’s quiet and sharp and makes your saw work like it should for a long time & I use mostly oak. That was more like 6 cents worth, but I admire good craftsmanship; you just don’t see it as much these days.

-- Jason, AL

View bake's profile

bake

#9 posted 05-01-2008 07:03 PM

My wife bought me one for christmas. I assembeled it alone,(don’t try it!) got it finished discovered the bracket for the outfeed table adjustment was broken. The only way to replace it is to dismantle the whole thing. It can be adjusted without it but it’s more difficult. The factory alignment was crap, nothing was right. I finally got it adjusted and it works pretty well. I still havent replaced the broken part i’ve been too lazy.

-- I love the smell of Home Depot in the morning, it smells like.......carpentry. Bake, Bar Lazy U Woodworks, Lehi,UT.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#10 posted 05-01-2008 11:49 PM

i have had one for 3 years give or take and i had to adjust the out feed a little at first but its been a great tool . no regrets

View Bigbuck's profile

Bigbuck

#11 posted 05-22-2008 06:43 PM

I just purchsed this jointer a month or so ago and could not be happier. While the assembly instructions are a little vague and some of the bolts holes were slightly off a little muscle got the thing put together. The tables were perfectly aligned right out of the box and the fence stops were pretty close although they did require a little tweaking, no big deal. All in all I didn’t see any other machines that could come close to this one for the money. I am very happy with this machine.

-- Glenn, New Mexico

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#12 posted 05-22-2008 09:41 PM

FYI – For those having clogging problems when not connected to any kind of vacuum system take the black spout off of the side and the chips should fall right out on the floor. Anyway it work on my Grizzly planer.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View RusticElements's profile

RusticElements

#13 posted 05-23-2008 12:05 AM

I’ve had one for about 3 years now. Great machine!. I put it together myself without too much trouble. I only have clogging problems when I let the pile at the end get too high. Never really a problem. Just make sure the exit port is wide open.

-- Michael R. Harvey - Brewster, NY - RusticElementArt.com - SpaceAware.org - AnConn.com