ROUBO - L’ART DU MENUISIER EN BATIMENT

Review by mafe posted 08-20-2011 05:30 PM 2302 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
ROUBO - L’ART DU MENUISIER EN BATIMENT ROUBO - L’ART DU MENUISIER EN BATIMENT No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

ROUBO – L’ART DU MENUISIER EN BATIMENT
CD Book:
Dealer (other interesting scanned books):

This is a photographed version of the full book with planches and all.
It is a French seller from E-bay.

After seeing planches from the Roubo book in France, and reading all the hype around this Roubos registration of tools, carpentry and furniture I decided to take a look at the real deal.
The original book can still be bought antique but are usually quite expensive, so this is a chance to see what you want to see for a fair price.
I can imagine the once buying this book will mostly be the people who are on the Roubo workbench wave, and to study this version is excellent.

The only negative is that it is photographs of pages opened so you see the shadow of the bend.
(Ohh yes and the book is in French, so if you don’t read French you will have to stick to the pictures).

As a book for understanding old tools in Europe, here France or as a study to building a ‘Roubo’ bench this is a great buy.
I will only give it three stars because I think this book is only interesting for the few.

Best thoughts,
MaFe

#1 posted 08-20-2011 09:24 PM

thank´s for the rewiew Mads
an interressting competetter to the one Swarhz writting together with a few others in english
where they translate from the french original to english and copy the plancés from the french book
If I remember it correct

take care

#2 posted 08-20-2011 09:37 PM

Are they translating the book? I thought they were making a rewriting. That will be interesting reading, I will probably buy that since I don’t have the luck of reading French, and I will not ask my GF to suffer from reading that for me – lol.
Take care Dennis best thoughts,

#3 posted 08-20-2011 10:09 PM

maybee you have right there about a sort of rewriting in the way they
try to translate it to the language that is spoken/written today
so it isn´t so havey to read for poeple who hasn´t learned or know how they
did write in the good old days …. :-)

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

#4 posted 08-21-2011 05:32 PM

I need to learn French.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

#5 posted 08-21-2011 07:21 PM

RG, OUI

#6 posted 08-21-2011 07:23 PM

Or just buy it to enjoy the plances as I did.
In fact I will probaly go to the National libary in France next week and see the old prints, Caroline has made an appointment for me she say, this will be really interesting, to look at originals with white gloves.
Smiles,

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#7 posted 08-21-2011 07:24 PM

Wow that sounds like a nice trip. Sound like a blog post will be in order.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

#8 posted 08-21-2011 11:40 PM

damm you realy are a lucky man Mads …...........enjoy …....enjoy ….....but don´t bragg too much
over it ….....I´m already jelous enoff ….even the blue dress start to turn green :-)

ofcourse we demand a blog over the visit :—))

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

#9 posted 08-22-2011 02:12 AM

Oui oui. Bon Voyage! (in the most Latin sense of course, I don’t think you will get rid of me)

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View Gary Roberts's profile

Gary Roberts

#10 posted 08-23-2011 06:50 AM

Just want to point out that this vendor is not selling PDF files taken from material he owns. The original images are both public domain content on the web and/or lifted from various university sites offering the content to the public. True, it’s a service, but it’s still copyright infringement in many cases and certainly duplicitous.

-- Gary Roberts, http://toolemera.com

View Lazy_K's profile

Lazy_K

#11 posted 02-18-2014 01:57 PM

roubo update! I hope all yall get this
Lost Art Press has recently finished the first english translation of L’ART DU MENUISIER they have titled it
“To Make as Perfectly as Possible: Roubo on Marquetry”
Only $400.00!
ok they also have a hard cover edition for $43.00
And an E-book version for $19.00

-- Kai SaerPren

#12 posted 02-18-2014 10:00 PM

lol – 400 USD in ‘only’ 600 copy’s…
It is going to be interesting to read reviews from some craftsmen.
Personally I am full now on the subject, will stick to my Bible of the old days: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2319
Best thoughts,

#13 posted 02-18-2014 10:03 PM

Free original Roubo here:

View Gary Roberts's profile

Gary Roberts

#14 posted 02-18-2014 10:21 PM

And… Lost Art Press is now working on a translation of Felibien too. I should be excited about both of these, being a woodworker and a bookman, but I can’t seem to manage to get the requisite energy together. I have reprints of both sets. The engravings are wonderful. For someone who wants to recreate 17th century crafts it’s a good thing. But other than that, well, it’s an interesting exercise in translation I guess.

Here is my problem: both Roubo and Felibien were written for wealthy patrons and intelligentsia, not for working people. Theirs was the time of the encyclopediaists, the information chroniclers. These expansive sets were not meant to be how-to books, more sit-on-the-shelf books that made the owner look smart. I’m sure there is good stuff in there and from some translations I’ve seen of Felibien, there are good things to learn.

I’ld rather read a book written by craftspeople, for craftspeople, as rare as they are for that time period. Or, read a book of a later period and extrapolate what was done earlier from the plates of Roubo, Felibien and Diderot by comparing them to later books. Do you really think that anyone sat down and read entire volumes of Roubo? Those original sets I’ve seen are in remarkably good condition, telling me that they were not read that often.

-- Gary Roberts, http://toolemera.com

#15 posted 02-19-2014 01:16 AM

Kai SaerPren – even I do have quite a load of antique French tools… but guess I don’t have to learn to use a draw knife in both tongues, lol.
(Used to be with a French girlfriend for 4-5 years and hang out in Paris, quite a lot, was there 58 times, and often brought old tool back home).