Making & Mastering Wood Planes

Review by mafe posted 08-20-2011 03:47 PM 2925 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Making & Mastering Wood Planes Making & Mastering Wood Planes Making & Mastering Wood Planes Click the pictures to enlarge them

Making & Mastering Wood Planes: Revised Edition
By: David Finck

ISBN-10: 140272022X
ISBN-13: 978-1402720222

This book is a must if you want to build wooden planes in the James Krenov style, and trust me this you want to try; I wish I had the book when I made my first hand plane.
There is so much info on the web that we can live without the book and still build hand planes, but if you have the money for the book this it will save you for all the searching and you will be guided through it all.
Not only to build the plane but also sharpening and setting up planes, scrapers and making shooting boards and so for the use.

David Finck are explaining all the steps to build a plane, and this he does in the way we like it, with facts and clear photos, with no nonsense he holds your hand as you build and you feel safe while you just follow the masters words. When you have read this book and build a hand plane you know all you ever need to know, and every other hand plane book will ever be needed when we are talking wooden planes.

This book is worth much more than you pay for it, it is a must in my opinion – I love it.
And the book have a special value to me, it is a gift from a wonderful LJ buddy Al (Bertha), thank you!

I build some planes you can see here, and find links for the blogs where I build. Links:
My convex Krenov Style plane: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/43414
My Japanese type scraper plane: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/51555
Low angle shoulder plane: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/49132

Best thoughts,

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 08-20-2011 04:17 PM

Mads, thanks for the review.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View RGtools's profile

RGtools

#2 posted 08-20-2011 05:17 PM

A fantastic book, it’s one of my favorites in my library.

-- Make furniture that lasts as long as the tree - Ryan

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#3 posted 08-20-2011 05:39 PM

I have a few different books on making a plane but I am still hoverring re this and will one day or two I suppose.These look great and you did a wonderful job on the one you made. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 08-20-2011 09:03 PM

thank´s for the rewiew Mads
seems to me it is a most have for every handtool-freak = every L J …. lol

or at least those who consider to make tools :-)

take care
Dennis

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#5 posted 08-21-2011 08:01 AM

I really like this book as well. I think this is a good intro for anyone looking to use planes.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

#6 posted 08-21-2011 02:17 PM

Hi guys,
Glad I have a review in peace here lol.
I will just send you all a smile, no reason for more.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#7 posted 08-21-2011 03:21 PM

Mads..thanks for the inspiration as usual. I love this book as well. I built this Krenov inspired smoothing plane and plan to make a scraper plane. The insights for plane use got me over that “hump”.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View CTgator's profile

CTgator

#8 posted 09-05-2011 08:34 AM

I agree. A great book by a great guy. I am hoping to find time to go to one of his workshops.

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

#9 posted 09-05-2011 10:47 AM

thanks for the review. I’ve recently been looking to add hand planes to my collection of tools, been reading up on how to use them, sharpen them, etc. Been considering making some myself.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

#10 posted 09-05-2011 03:30 PM

Rob, it is not as difficult as it seems, just a little focus, and after a lot of fun.
Do it!
Big smile,

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#11 posted 09-05-2011 05:07 PM

Rob, then this book is required reading. Even if your not going to make some right away. Lots of valuable info.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Don W's profile

Don W

#12 posted 09-05-2011 07:41 PM

I have to agree. This book is full of practical information whether your using, building planes or both. If you like tools the pictures along are worth it.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com