A must for Delta portable planers

Review by Kevin posted 08-17-2011 04:11 AM 2756 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A must for Delta portable planers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not going to go into great detail here on this review.

Ordered one from amazon.com yesterday and it arrived this morning. Replacing the original shroud with this one was a brease, took about 1 minute if that.

I did however drill two holes in the bottom left/right of the shroud and into the planer to make it more sturdy. Hooked up a 6.5hp shop vac to it and planed some boards. Taking 1/16 – 1/8 off each pass the shop vac didn’t leave any chips/dust behind. For $25 dollars this is a must for the planer.

Overall very satisfied.

View flyfisherbob2000's profile

flyfisherbob2000

#1 posted 08-17-2011 05:18 AM

I only ran my Delta planner once before I bought one of these. It catches so much of the shavings, so little are left to hit the floor. A good buy… if you have a dust collector

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 08-17-2011 06:48 AM

I have a Porter-Cable TP305 which is a rebadged Delta and accepts this shroud. I concur 100%, its a great accessory. I added an HVAC elbow to the DC hose wouldn’t droop near/on the workpiece.

#3 posted 08-17-2011 01:59 PM

Kevin, this is a nice review. I agree with you that this is a necessity for running the planer unless you want to drag it outside whenever it is being used. I put one of these on my Delta planer and, as you said, it handles the dust/chips well.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#4 posted 08-17-2011 06:03 PM

Why, exactly, do you need this?
You can see my dust collection to the right, leaning against the shelves.

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1943 days

#5 posted 08-17-2011 07:33 PM

I have a Delta planer that I had to purchase a chute for but I’m not all that impressed w/ mine.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1943 days

#6 posted 08-17-2011 07:34 PM

Here is a link to Amazon just in case anyone is curious.

Darn double post anyway…..

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#7 posted 08-18-2011 02:31 AM

Yes, I bought the chute for my Delta… and like you said, it works well. I’m not convinced that my planer works all that well, but the chute keeps the chips at bay.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#8 posted 08-18-2011 02:53 AM

Interesting. I have the Dewalt, and it doesn’t use a chute unless you want to blow chips into a bag (without a dust collector).

#9 posted 08-19-2011 02:42 AM

Nailbanger, that’s about what it looked like in my shop after I planed some boards.
I’m pleased so far with it. I don’t get all the dust and chips flying in my hair, eyes and mouth now, lol.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#10 posted 08-19-2011 02:08 PM

Thanks for the review, Kevin. I know that you took my comment the way it was intended. How many gallons is your shop vac? When I hook my little 5 gal. bucket sized vac up to my jointer, it’s full after 2-3 5 ft. boards, so I know I would have to upgrade to use the chute.

And yes, I wear my respirator when I plane.

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

#11 posted 08-20-2011 04:58 AM

Anytime. I think my sv is 6-8 gal not sure. It can’t do but 3-4 boards on the jointer and sometimes not even that. Just can’t handle it, but it does very nice on the planer though which I was surprised.

Looking into finding a used DC in the next few months :)

That’s a wise choice to wear one. I should have wore one myself.

Thanks,

View flyfisherbob2000's profile

flyfisherbob2000

#12 posted 08-20-2011 05:30 PM

I used a little 1HP dust collector I picked up from Harbor Freight to collect my chavings. It worked great for one tool at a time. I since have replaced it wita b bigger Grizzly DC. I have the little HF dc for sale if anyone is interested.