Harbor Freight Wireless Driveway Alert System 93086

Review by TopamaxSurvivor posted 1079 days ago 4995 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Wireless Driveway Alert System 93086 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In order to do any work or woodworking, we need to keep our tools safe and sound. Unfortunately, unincorporated south King County, WA does not have viable police protection. Most city cops in the area just laugh when you tell them you are in the unincorporated area because they know there are no cops. Unfortunately, the thieves know it too. Fortunately, we have annexed into a city and the police actually come rather quickly.

I had thieves trying to steal my tools at least 3x a year from July, 1989 until April of 1999. At the worst of it, they were here 3x in 9 days. I have too much experience in this line of endeavor. The ol’ dog passed away a couple years ago. Without her watchful eye I know I have been too lucky for too long and my luck has to be running out.

The problem with most alarms is too many false calls in the middle of the night. I hate waking up at 3 or 4 AM for nothing ;-( I saw an ad for these Harbor Freight infrared driveway alerts. For the price, I decided to give them a try. Much to my surprise, they are very reliable units. Set up high enough to allow cats and dog to pass below, they have not had a false alarm in 3 months. They work flawlessly.

I set them out by my work truck and start the system about 9 or 10 each night. Within 6 weeks of putting one out, my first prowler showed up at 11:15 PM. He didn’t know we were coming out, so he must have hid under one of our vehicles. My wife saw him leave on the security camera after I came in to call 911.

2 weeks later, the alarm went off at 4:20 AM. By then I had set up another on the same channel so they would work together. I have one alert out by the truck to notify the low life that they need to leave. 2 weeks to the day, last Sunday morning at 4:40 AM, the scumbag returned. After decade of experience, this is a typical pattern; always return on the same day of the week 2 weeks later whether they made a successful hit or not.

I will give these Driveway Alerts 4.75 stars. I would give them 5 stars if Harbor Freight stocked all the channels so you could get compatibles at any time you might need to add to your collection. I want to get another one so I have a fool proof setup. If the low life happens to figure out what is catching him, I want to have 3 set in triangulation so there is no way he can cover one without another seeing him while he does it ;-))

View Dez's profile

Dez

Good old King county! Almost as bad as Pierce before I left! ( NOT that I had anything to do with it being bad – honest)!

-- Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity!

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1243 days

Hey, Dez… What is the E for at the end of ThereAintNoSuchThingAsAFreeLunch ? Ever?

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

dam that sucks about all the thieves
seems like a good product

-- Ben L

TopamaxSurvivor

I experienced a big slow down in Lowlife activity when pierce County arrested a gang with a couple of containers full of tools ready for overseas shipment. It was too long after my theft for them to be there. Mine were long gone ;-((

The news reported car loads of car thieves coming off Hill Top to steal cars. One night the dog went off. I went to see what was up and there was guy walking on the street. I came in and watched the security camera for a few minutes. As he walked, a car backed up, he got in and way they weren’t. I am sure the dog made a save on my son’s Mustang that night.

Wish we would have had these wireless driveway alert back then. I wired several systems to guard the van. The best as an electric cattle fencer on the back door ;-)) got 3 that I know of ;-)) ;-))

TopamaxSurvivor

Moral of story is do not work on customer’s job site from a van full of tools you park in your driveway every night ;-(( My county councilman who was an ex-cop told me I had unreasonable expectations!

I am really happy with the preformance of these alerts. They never have false alarms. The only thing I would change on them is a relay contact to turn on lights. They should be good for anyone with a detached garage or anyone wanting to keep and eye on the area while they sleep ;-)

View Roger's profile

I use one of these in my garage/shop. It will beep when someone comes into the garage, before they get to my shop door. It works gr8. I know the base can be hard-wired, but I wish the sensor was hard-wired also.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

Sounds a lot like where I live though I haven’t heard of any breakins. In 3 years I’ve never really seen any police in the area. It’s an older part of the county and not the wealthiest so they don’t really care. 25mph enhanced speed zone and avg. speed of vehicles where kids are playing is 55. Glad to know these work so well. I think I may give them a tryout too!

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

Last year the dogs woke me at 2:15AM, I went to the kitchen window and spied a young thug trying to break into the wifes car. I merely opened the front door and let the dogs go. I went to get some pants on and rushed out the door. On the next-door neighbors front lawn was a wanna be thief with two dogs attached. Neighbor came out, I sauntered up with the leashes while calling the sheriff. They said they busy and would be there in 30 minutes. I told them I didnt think the thief would last that long as my dogs were on a feeding frenzy. Less than two minutes the men in blue were there.
Seems they knew this guy and upon further investigation, tons of stolen items were recovered from this guys garage.
Yep he sued me for the dog attack, judge awarded him $1 for his pain and suffering.
One of the victims of this thugs larceny rewarded my dogs with a 50# sack of food, as I would not take the reward offered.
We have not had any further incidents.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

TopamaxSurvivor

Roger, you can hard wire it using a power supply of the proper voltage instead of batteries.

WE had the same issues with 55 to 72 (the fastest I ever clocked) in a 35 residential zone until they built a newer short cut ;-))

jumbojack, Great story, nice work, congrats. Everyone told me I’d get sued for the electric fencer on my van. Who is gong to admit they were there when they have no evidence. That is why I used an electric fencer, no evidence. ;-))

View Howie's profile

Howie

Topa, I too purchased one of these alarms about a month ago and am well satisfied. Works good. However, just this morning a friend of mine and I put one in his driveway but it wouldn’t signal thru the house to where he wanted the alarm. (hard of hearing so it had to be in his den ) anyway not a problem since they will take it back.
I live at the end of a dead end street and I’m thinking about putting a camera on my shop. It’s detached from the house (12×30 bldg) and would be easily accessable from the street even though it’s behind a 7 foot high fence.
Now if they try to come in the house I have a whole different kind of security for them to deal with…..and in my state it’s legal.
Anyway thanks for your review and I agree with the 4.75..well done.
P.S. coupon in the new Readers Digest for $11.99.

-- Life is good.

TopamaxSurvivor

Howie, I have security systems I hope I never have to use too. It is better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it ;-)

I emailed Harbor Freight customer service to see if I could order some on a specific channel so they would all work together. The answer is “NO”. One needs to work with their local store to get the channels you need to do that. I got lucky and found a few at another store in Tacoma today ;-))

When I get a bit of time, I am gong to see if I can hook a relay up to these to turn on a security lighting system. Howie, That would solve your friend’s problem.

I used to have “instant daylight” wired to my van door switch. Nobody ever stayed around to see what happened next. I always wondered what they thought sneaking around on a dark rainy winter night at 4 AM. Trying a door to see if it were locked and having 3 500 watt quartz lights pop on along with a radio at full blast ;-)) I want to connect those lights to my driveway alerts!!

View TheBossQ's profile

TheBossQ

I wish we could go back to the old days where this type of thing was dealt with immediately and harshly. The justice system in this country has turned into a joke.

I bet Michael Fay and Oliver Fricker will never vandalize in Singapore again.

TopamaxSurvivor

Last Sunday morning about 5 AM I was very pleased with the driveway alerts. I knew the lowlife would need some serious deterrent if he returned for a third time. Having a receiver out there to warn them they are under surveillance seems to have done the job ;-)) I think I will give these 10 stars!!

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

I agree Bob. I’ve been using one for the last 5 years. With the new dog, I get even fewer false alerts.( he he) I sent one to my mother in Colorado too. I also like them in the day time to let me know if some one is lurking in the shop when I have to make a quick run inside. It also alerts me to the grand kids in the wrong places too.

View Mike's profile

Mike

very nice

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com