Ordered one yesterday

Review by RHytonen posted 08-16-2011 10:25 AM 1626 views 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ordered one yesterday No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(wondering if the bearing shouldn’t just be lubed or replaced)

I had a Ryobi 5 amp last me about six or seven years. I do sporadic fabrication, welding and kart restoration; and use it heavily when I do, but then not for months or even years in between.
The Ryobi (HmDepot, $40) blew up yesterday, blasted a pinhole in the case w/ a tiny fire blowing thru (burnt winding.)

THe PC was $37 (cpo, rebuilt) WITH shipping, from eBay, because I can’t get to HD, HF (or anything else except a pricey but well stocked ACE HW, if you’re a working pro and price is no object,) from our retirement location in the mountains of darndest WV. IN heaven there are no deals – except the view, house prices, and property taxes ;)

I’ve had good luck with CPO’s factory rebuilt tools, as I got a great deal from them on a straight shaft 40cc Ryobi Wacker which also had bad reviews like this PC grinder. Sent it back and got a really good one (knock knock)

With CPO I do notice you always have to send back the first one, to let them know you want a good one. After that you have a tool that will last years, I’m VERY happy with the replacement Wacker, and am sure I will be, with the grinder – because if the first one makes noiseI WILL send it back in the same fashion. Look at the diagram at the top of this ‘review’ – it has bearings at both ends of the output shaft. (Maybe the reviewer’s had been ‘spun.’?) I plan to look at that bottom bearing, and if it’s a bushing, replace it with a real needle.

I’ll let you guys know. But I find that a few bad reviews can sometimes be no more than ‘what to watch out for,’ on certain individual tools. (You know Chinese QC – or should ;) And people who are HAPPY with their purchase almost never write reviews in comparison to all the complaints, unless they’ve seen the bad ones -as I guess I have now on the PC grinder. In other words I use them as failure mode analyses. EVERYTHING has failure modes. If I had checked that on the Ryobi grinder, I bet I would have been more careful about overheating it. That’s why I bought the PC 7.5 amp one.

(and PS – this is the first I’ve reviewed the Ryobi straight shaft wacker – a wonderful tool, like having a Stihl for half the price OR LESS – with the same attachments available, like a tiny pole chainsaw; and you get an extension with it usable; for the wacker as well. The chainsaw works great – IF you disassemble and clean it on EACH USE. Tools take maintenance. Never buy one you can’t take apart. And drill and safety wire the N&B on any internal combustion tool -like a gas wacker- as if it was a racing machine, and you’ll save a LOT of headaches. It sux looking for odd, irreplacable parts that vibrated off.)

View RHytonen's profile