First new Band Saw

Review by MarktheWoodButcher posted 08-14-2011 10:53 PM 4586 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First new Band Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The whole Experience. Including my lack of it. I had been struggling with my first band saw an old Craig’s list 1/2 hp 14” Delta on resawing and log sawing for the last 4 years. Since it only cost me $50 how can I complain. But about week ago the switch broke and some of the magic smoke got out of the motor so I decided to move a little further up town and ordered a Grizzly G0513P 17” 2 HP Bandsaw, Polar Bear Series .

Four days from phone ordering to the UPS truck pulling up. Seems pretty quick to me. It does weigh on the north side of 300 lbs in its crate and that’s a tall 300 lbs. I’m glad I had my 6’2” 185# son there to help me move it into the shop or it would probably still be out in the rain.

The only assembly required was mounting the table. Assembling the fence and attaching a couple of the control handles. All very straight forward and easy to do by myself. The 1/2 ” blade that came with it cuts soft wood up to about 2” pretty well and it’s OK for ply wood and to get you checked out on the saws operation.

the same day the saw arrived the new blades from suffolk machine got there too. so I put on the 1” wide, 3 TPI Timberwolf. Removing the 1/2” blade was easy. Getting the 1” blade on was a good deal tougher. No much flex in that blade there for getting in, around and between the lower guide bearings and the lower blade guards. I had to remove the blade guards and pull the bearings as far apart and as far back as they would go to manage. I am not happy with how I tensioned the blade. I followed the manual to the letter and I still get blade flutter with the indicator cranked up to 8. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. It’s tracking straight.

Adjusting the bearings after tension and tracking were set was easy. I slipped a dollar bill around the blade and pinched the disc bearings in. Then I tested the setting once with a feeler gauge and it seemed right.

Here is an issue you might want to pay attention to. The thumb screws for securing the disc bearing settings have a pretty small finger grip. Just using my fingers I can’t tighten them enough to keep them tight in operation. When I am sawing the bearings start sliding in and out unless I use pliers to tighten them. I will probably replace them with allen head screws.

The steel trunnions also seem a little less substantial than I would like. They will probably be OK, but they don’t inspire confidence. I don’t think there is an option to get cast iron trunnions on this model. so you might want to look at the other 17” Grizz models that do.

It cuts good. At least 10 times better than my 1/2 HP saw. After I re-set the fence for the new blade it sliced off a 1/8” x 10” x 48” sheet of black walnut no problems. I went on to rip out six 1” x 10” x 48” boards from the same log. They won’t require much jointing. and they will book match nicely for some 18” raised panels that are in the works.
It was a little slower at ripping down some old growth V grain Doug Fir I have been waiting to mill. And it was while cutting the fir I discovered the side bearings wandering. The blade wandered in the wood about an eighth of an inch over a 60” run.

The dust collection ports are well placed. The inside of the machine doesn’t build up much dust.

The view ports and controls are easy to use and well placed.

The blade guards are way safer than my old machine.

Except for the trunnions I don’t have any buyer’s remorse. I’m glad I bought it.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

#1 posted 08-15-2011 02:08 AM

Congratulations on your new saw! Thanks for the review.

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#2 posted 08-15-2011 02:33 AM

I have the 17” extreme series Grizz and have never tensioned a 1” blade past the 4 setting. Maybe your blade is too long? I tension my T Wolf 1” blades to 3 1/2 setting with no flutter. I would check length of blade, etc.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#3 posted 08-15-2011 03:58 AM

gfadvm,
It’s a 131.5” I am not a band saw expert by any means and it is possible what I see as “flutter” is normal. I may be over reacting to the movement I see. I really don’t know.

View MoshupTrail's profile

MoshupTrail

#4 posted 08-15-2011 04:37 AM

Since buying my first band saw I don’t rip anything that has not already been jointed on my table saw. It’s so much safer to run un-jointed boards through the band saw. I love mine (14” Rikon). It’s forgiving and just plain works!
Sounds like you’ve got a really nice one. How did you saw logs on your old 14”? I’ve got some 5’ long logs of cherry I’d like to mill, but they’re so heavy I can’t imagine running them through the saw.

-- Some problems are best solved with an optimistic approach. Optimism shines a light on alternatives that are otherwise not visible.

#5 posted 08-15-2011 04:45 AM

I can understand where you are coming from, Moshup. But I get a special satisfaction from cutting down a tree with my son, and then turning it into furniture.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#6 posted 08-15-2011 05:14 AM

Great review.
so, what’s the fate of the $50 delta. I may be in the market for one.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1291 days

#7 posted 08-15-2011 05:17 AM

Nice review. I’m jealous.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 08-16-2011 02:57 AM

Just had another thought for you. I bought Mark Dijenski’s bandsaw book before I bought my BS and it really helped me understand blade tensioning, When to use what blade, etc . I’m not sure of the author’s name spelling but you can find this book at Woodcraft. Good luck with the new saw. Your first upgrade should be a Carter Stabilizer as I bought one and have really enjoyed it.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View hillcountrywoodcraft's profile

hillcountrywoodcraft

#9 posted 08-17-2011 04:36 AM

Congrats on your new bandsaw- hope it serves you well. Do you have to order the blades from Grizzly or were you able to find a local supplier? We have the extreme version and it would be nice to find a different supplier or maybe a better blade out there at that length.

-- Roy and Pauline, in the beautiful Texas Hill Country

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#10 posted 08-17-2011 05:17 PM

This is the one I have been looking to buy, or the green vesion can’t decide.
A few more months and I’ll pull the trigger.
I think 17” is perfect for what I’ll be doing; 14” would limit my resaw capability (without a riser).

-- Mike

#11 posted 08-17-2011 07:44 PM

Don, I already gave it away. But if there is anyone near the 08809 zip code I’ve got some 96” and 108” blades to give away. some are still in the package and I think there are a couple if unused Timberwolf blades.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

#12 posted 10-01-2012 12:11 AM

Mark – you could get a cast iron trunion for your saw from Grizzly. Search Grizzly for the item below:

H8193 Optional Heavy-Duty Cast-Iron Trunnion for G0513, G0513X & G0514X