120 Teeth that make me smile!

Review by JasonWagner posted 980 days ago 2452 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
120 Teeth that make me smile! 120 Teeth that make me smile! 120 Teeth that make me smile! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this “Oshlun 8 dado stack after watching it on Amazon for more than a year. Usually I’m not really cheap but I knew the price would drop eventually. I got it for $55.93 in 04/10 with free shipping and no tax. That’s a lot of C4 carbide for the price. I have two Forrest WWII blades and used to have a Freud 6” dado stack for a contractor saw. This blade set is awesome for the money.

This blade stack will give very small “bat wings” in the bottom of the cut. I have not found this to be an issue and appreciate the clean edges because of the design.

I don’t use dados much but when you need it, you need it. I just made a “story stick” of the width of the blade stack. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time. After about an hour and a half of switching blades out I’m finished and have a good start to guess on future dados.

This set comes with a 1/16” and a 3/32” blade to compensate for undersized plywood. I have not done enough as a hobbiest to say how useful this is but it allows 20 blade combinations from 1/4” to 29/32” without shims. On Amazon people complain about the box, I really wasn’t expecting a nice carrying case. I don’t travel with my dado set anyway so I use a simple blade rack shown in the last picture. Pictures taken with an iPhone so not up to standard quality. After making all those dado troughs I wasn’t in the mood for the DSLR and tripod!

JasonWagner

Wow , your link says it only has 42 teeth and the price isn’t even close !
I guess you stole this set : )

edit : I saw that they’re only counting one blade…LOL

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

JasonWagner

42 teeth per outside blade. Each chipper blade has 6 teeth and there are 6 of them. 42+42+36=120. Yeah, the price only goes down about twice a year.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1387 posts in 1967 days

that is a PRETTY good deal!
FYI, you can do a lot of things with a dado blade besides dados. They’re great for tenons, lap joints, and box joints, to name a few.

View Wolffarmer's profile

Wolffarmer

I have had this for over a year. Works pretty good. The box is junk so I made one for it as my first box project. But your idea for storage is good also.

Randy

-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

View Roger's profile

what a steal of a deal.. Wow! great buy

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View BreakingBoardom's profile

BreakingBoardom

I also have this set and got it for around $50 when on sale. Great set, especially when on sale. Actually, getting ready to pull it out again for my current project.

-- Matt - http://breakingboardom.wordpress.com/

View teejk's profile

teejk

thanks for the post…I’ve owned and used the Delta set (I think about $100 10 years ago) and it has served me very well but now I have alternate for that unfortunate day when it goes to the yard.

JasonWagner

cr1 – I have to say the bat wings are pretty darn small. Not enough for me to worry about for the price or for my projects. I can’t say I’ve made any visible dados, rabbets, tenons, etc…

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I have this dado set and I like it allot. I always get great results with it..flat bottom grooves, no ridges or lines. My only complaint isn’t the box (I keep all my TS blades in a rack)...when I assemble the blades according to the manual They always come up a little short and I always seem to have to use shims, no matter what combo of blades I use. Other than that this is a great set. Thanks for the review

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View skidooman93's profile

skidooman93

I’ve owned this set for 2 years, bought it from Hobren for about $50. I does everything i can think of very well. I owned the expensive 6” freud before this set and was happy with it until I bought this set because a sawstop only runs 8” dados. The bat wings are so small they are only noticeable unless you look for them. I just got done using the blade for 48 tendons. Since owning it I have used it to make over 600 tendons and how many more dados. So for $50 you can’t go wrong. When it is in need of a sharpending I think I will just buy a new set. I honestly think this is the best bang for a buck I have ever gotten when buying a saw blade. Even beats the $50 woodworker II I got a few years back.