Leigh Super 18 Jig

Review by trifern posted 2324 days ago 8338 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Leigh Super 18 Jig Leigh Super 18 Jig Leigh Super 18 Jig Click the pictures to enlarge them

Leigh Super 18 Dovetail Jig – Rout Through, Half-blind and Sliding Dovetails as well as two sizes of box joints and single pass Half-blind dovetails. Additional joints are possible with an optional Finger Joint Template and an Isoloc template. Everything you need in one box.

Features: Infinitely adjustable guide fingers, Variably spaced through dovetails, Variably spaced half-blind dovetails, Sliding dovetails, “Single Pass” half-blind dovetails, 5/16” & 5/8” box joints, Non slip clamping surface, Cam action clamps, Under cut side stops, Easy to read scales.

Standard Equipment: ½” 8° dovetail bit, ½” 14° dovetail bit, 5/16” straight bit, ½” to 8mm collets reducer, Cam action speed clamps, Sliding dovetail fence, Square drive screwdriver, Fully illustrated User Guide, Instructional DVD, Spacer, Leigh E Bush, Half-blind bridge piece material

I have been very pleased with the quality of this jig. It was a little overwelming at first, but after testing and using the jig, the complexity is what gives the joints a “hand cut” look. The joints are adjustable and fit nice and tight. I hope to some day add the Isoloc templete. I would definitely recommend this jig.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View trifern's profile

trifern

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I have the 24” version and I love it.

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

I have the 18” also. It’s a very well made piece of equipment.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

looks cool. right now I’m trying to decide whether to get the Porter Cable 12” model or put in the extra 60 bucks for the Leigh when i get a dovetail jig.

View Samel A. Livingstone's profile

Samel A. Livingstone

I have the Leigh D4R 24” jig which is similar to the superjigs but can vary the pin width easier. The fingers are split. It takes a fair number of hours to read the manual, do test cuts, revise, recut,revise, recut. Eventually I got the directions down. I found I was tipping the router towards me altering the pin profiles. I now consciously hold the toop away from me. Also the vacuum atachment hold up the front end better and made improvements when I installed it. The depth adjustment for the half blind dovetails is critical. I have a whole box of miscut half blind dovetails pieces. But am finally get to get good ones. Full dovetails are the easiest particullary if you can spare two routers to avoid bit changes. I have a pair of PC- 690’s which have more than enough power. All in all does good work with a steep learning curve.

-- Sam, upstate

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Thanks for the review, I have been wanting a Dovetail jig, but it is really hard to go out and buy one if you have never used one, nor know of anyone with one to help with the learning curve.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View JWTIII's profile

JWTIII

13 posts in 2069 days

#6 posted 2063 days ago

I just picked up the 18” Super Jig and like it very much. I am upgrading from a low end Craftman I have had since the mid 80’s. Learning curve on this was not too bad since I already had some experience with dovetail jigs. I figured that if I could get decent enough dovetails out of the Craftstman (and I did) I could figure this one out ( and I did, at least for the half-blind rabbet). I had already learned that bit depth controls joint tightness.
Lessons learned include:
Make sure the front is well seated to the side
Make sure the side is also well seated to the side
Make sure the side is fully placed tight under the front…this one caused me some early issues but I figured it out soon enough.
I just completed the dovetails for 2 sets of 4 drawers for 2 Queen Anne lowboys I am making…one for my wife and one for my daughter.

John

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

I grabbed a 12” SuperJig on Craigslist as a drawer maker. I have used a WoodRat in the past for dovetails, and haven’t been all that impressed with the rat’s ability to do “production work” although it does has it’s own advantages for unique projects. The learning curve for the Leigh jigs is steep, but once you figure it out, it makes extremely accurate joints with very little effort, and can crank out a kitchen full in short order. Don’t know if I could justify paying full retail for one, though.