Inexpensive but surprisingly good

Review by pjones46 posted 08-14-2011 06:14 AM 2269 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Inexpensive but surprisingly good No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Just purchased a Numax SP123 pinner from Amazon for Under $30.

I had a project to apply some fine moulding which would be split by 18 guage brads and did a seach on pinners. Did not want to spend alot as I did not know if I would ever use it again and found this one and by looking it appeared to be good value.

Anyway, got it along with some 3/4” pins and it really works great so far. It will shoot 1/2’ to 1” pins and has has a setting which adjust the depth of the magazine to support the different length pins. It came with a quick connect fitting installed which was the correct size for my hoses which was a plus.

The body is heavy aluminum and very little plastic anywhere else. It only has one safety near the trigger so once disengaged you have to be careful as it will fire (no push tip pressure safety) and no padded tip, but had no problem with marring the fine moulding.

It sets the pin just below the surface and using very little filler the holes were invisible after finishing nor did the pin split the moulding.

I gave it five stars based on price and quality for the money, even though it had a funky safety and lacked the tip cushion.

Good value for the $.

-- God is great, the Beer is good and people are Crazy. www.pauljoneswoodworks.com

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

#1 posted 08-14-2011 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info.
It is good to know that there is an affordable pin nailer out there. Been using a Harbor Freight pin nailer and love it.
This is a great option to know about. Thanks for posting. Definitely a good value. A little tip…..once you have pin nailed, steam the tiny hole shut, no need for filler.

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

View jim C's profile

jim C

#2 posted 08-14-2011 01:50 PM

woodworkerscott,
what do you use for a steamer?
This sounds like a great idea.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 08-14-2011 01:54 PM

Strange, that looks just like my Porter Cable(well almost) that cost a whole lot more. Thanks for the tip.

-- Life is good.

View Thomas1970's profile

Thomas1970

#4 posted 08-14-2011 02:39 PM

And best of all? They are made right here in GA just outside ATL!

-- " .... For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.”

View jim C's profile

jim C

#5 posted 08-14-2011 03:53 PM

Wow!
A competitive product made right here!
There is hope after all.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

#6 posted 08-14-2011 06:05 PM

I have it as well. Easy to use and perfect for pinning. Service is excellent as well, had a problem with my first one, called service and a replacement was shipped overnight, return label by prepaid UPS.
I pin instead of double sided taping, pull apart when done. No noticeable holes.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#7 posted 08-14-2011 09:19 PM

I’ve been looking for one of these, thanks for the review.

I have an 18 gauge, 16 gauge and a pneumatic stapler. You’re right about the larger gauges splitting thin woods along with leaving a large hole to fill. Sometimes you just need a pin gun. I love my air tools for holding some trim work or building shop jigs and cabinets. I have to finish some molding upstairs (been almost 8 years since we built the house) perhaps I have an excuse for another tool!

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View Smalltimer's profile

Smalltimer

#8 posted 08-15-2011 06:05 PM

Wow, this is very interesting. I keep thinking of potential uses for a pin nailer, and at a price like that, how can I resist?

I do have a dumb question about these things, though. What determines the depth that the pins are set? Do you play around with the air pressure, or does the tool automatically set the pin at or just below the wood surface regardless of the thickness of the material?

In other words, if I’m pinning various work pieces, and some are 1/4” and others 3/8” or 1/2” thick, will I have to make adjustments each time I pin a piece of a different thickness, or does the tool do that for me? And if the tool does it in theory, how well does it work in practice, especially for a bargain item like this?

Thanks in advance!

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

#9 posted 08-15-2011 06:23 PM

I believe it is limited by the pin driver travel, in other words, no adjustment and it sets the pin just below the surface no matter what the length of pin.

View rda327's profile

rda327

#10 posted 10-29-2011 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info, I just ordered one from Amazon.com last night Looking forward to getting it Tuesday

-- Roger, Jasper Tn.