Harbor fright 97869 2 hp dust collector- sanding belt 40861.

Review by MikeGo posted 08-09-2011 07:24 PM 5649 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor fright 97869 2 hp dust collector- sanding belt 40861. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I bought one thinking this is great for only $149. No! its worked for about 8 mins and stoped, motor will hum and then pop my 20 amp braker. looked inside and the fan move`s freely. Called Harbor Fright up and I am going to exchange it , but if any problems ill get my money back. The reviews where good I hope it was only a bad one,”ill see”. Also I bought a new sanding belt 6/48 that I need to return, crack along seem. it`s only a 35 min drive.

-- Mike, Marietta,ny

View MikeGo's profile

MikeGo

View Allanwoodworks's profile

Allanwoodworks

#1 posted 08-09-2011 07:33 PM

Mike,

I have had nothing but good luck with my HF Dust collector. The only mod I have done is that I cut out the cross like screen on the 6” intake, because I kept getting shavings blocking as they got hung up on the screen. Hope everything else works out with your new one.

-- Ty, Up in Washington

5386 posts in 1954 days

#2 posted 08-09-2011 07:39 PM

Mike,

Only thing I can say is that is a very odd thing to happen with any new machine. You should be fine with a new one… Then again you should have been fine with this one…

Once you get the new one set up and it is working reliably, replace the dust bag on it. That 5 micron filter just makes things worse than none at all… Get a 1 micron bag at least, or a 1 micron or better canister if you can afford it…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Bsmith's profile

Bsmith

#3 posted 08-09-2011 08:33 PM

Mike, I had to step up to a 20 amp breaker. That’s just what mine was doing, then throw a breaker. Might check that if it happens with the new one.

-- Bryan

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#4 posted 08-09-2011 09:55 PM

I have not had good luck with Harbor Freight tools in general. The quality, at best, is not consistent. I will buy some non-power hand tools (particularly the type that get abused anyway such as yard tools) but not much else.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View HalDougherty's profile

HalDougherty

1820 posts in 1959 days

#5 posted 08-09-2011 11:12 PM

I’ve got one of these Harbor Freight dust collectors and it’s run fine for 2 years. If all the dust it’s collected was in one pile, it would cover my shop. Anybody need some extra sawdust and wood chips?

-- Hal, Tennessee http://www.first285.com

View crank49's profile

crank49

#6 posted 08-09-2011 11:43 PM

Mine’s run for over a year now with no problems. I did get the extra one year additional warranty with mine, so it’s probably waiting for that to expire before rolling over dead.

You probably just got a dud. Hopefully the replacement will be good.

Depending on how many times you “popped” the breaker, you might need to replace it as well. A couple of years ago I had a garbage disposal that had an automatic reversing switch in it to clear jams. Problem was it would sometimes get stuck in forward and reverse at the same time which would trip the breaker. After about 10 trips it got where the breaker would not hold at all. New breaker fixed it.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View Howie's profile

Howie

#7 posted 08-10-2011 12:49 AM

Mine has been fine for at least 2 years. More than I can say for the Delta it replaced. At least I don’t have to have four hands and a next door neighbor to help change the bag.

-- Life is good.

View MikeGo's profile

MikeGo

#8 posted 08-10-2011 12:54 AM

Just put the new one together and works fine and also they replaced the sanding belt. They took it back with no problems. I think ill buy the warranty anyways. Thanks all for your help. I sold my 1hp cummings dust collector today and that coverd 2/3 of the cost of the 2hp, very happy.

-- Mike, Marietta,ny

View BigAl98's profile

BigAl98

#9 posted 08-10-2011 02:11 AM

Mines been fine for 3 months now….used it about 3 hours so far…off and on.

-- Al,New Jersey -To thine own self be true

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1957 days

#10 posted 08-10-2011 02:44 AM

Had mine now for 1.5 years, though I’ve only really been using it for a year – my old garage workshop didn’t have any outlets that could handle the start-up peak and always tripped so I feel your pain. Glad you got it up and working, though keeping at 1 star seems unfair since you got it replaced with minimal pain.

View PCM's profile

PCM

#11 posted 08-10-2011 05:52 AM

I’ve had one for about one year. I replaced the bag with a cartridge filter and added a penn state remote control. Great combo for a reasonable price. I suspect you got a defective unit.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1913 days

#12 posted 08-10-2011 08:26 AM

You need to run on a 20 amp circuit braker…dedicated for better results. good luck!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#13 posted 08-10-2011 09:17 AM

If you get a hum which trips the breaker a few seconds later, then that’s a issue with the motor starter (either capacitor or centrifugal switch). You’ll need to return it and get another one.

Last time I needed a part under warranty, I just spoke to the store manager who opened a new box and gave me the part I need. That saved me the hassle of disassembling and returning the trailer I partially completed building or trying to deal with their customer support.

15153 posts in 1910 days

#14 posted 08-10-2011 12:01 PM

I hope it all works out, I know many on here have had good luck with them. I chose to buy a good by spending a little more money. I got mine from Penn Industries after reading a review in a wood mag. I hope all you problems work out. I do agree with others above on a 20 amp breaker and try using a solo circuit.

5386 posts in 1954 days

#15 posted 08-10-2011 04:32 PM

Glad to know they got it squared away for you…

Like I mentioned above, you will want to upgrade the filter on that as soon as you can. They Wynn 35A canister is a very popular option. I went with the Bill Pentz recommended Spun Bond poly.

I do understand though if that is a bit pricey. Budgets are tight enough to use as drum skins these days.. So if the 35A is out of your reach, at the very least, upgrade to a 1 micron bag such as the one from Highland Woodworking.

Your lungs will thank me for mentioning this to you…

I have had mine with the 35A now for a couple of years, and have been very pleased with how well it works. Sure I wish I had a big 5HP cyclone, but this rig with a Thien separator does what I need it to do at a price I can afford…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com