Permatex Painter's Clean Hand Cleaner with Pumice

Review by David Grimes posted 1120 days ago 2074 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Permatex Painter's Clean Hand Cleaner with Pumice No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like most of us, I get into different stuff that requires a bit more than soap and water to get off my hands and forearms. For as long as I can remember I’ve used the gojo, orange cleaner with pumice, mineral spirits, sometimes acetone, even gasoline to get the various stains, finishes and glues off.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the local Sherwin Williams paint store and saw this product for $3.49. I asked the manager if it was good stuff. He laughed and said that he couldn’t keep it on the shelf and that the Sherwin Williams employees use it as well. So I got one of the remaining two.

Thus far, it has easily removed oil-based spray primer, oil-based spray and brushed enamel, MinWax stain, BLO, and spray and brushed urethane clear.

I like it best because you rub the non-flammable and non-toxic cleaner only into your hands, then either rinse with water and wipe dry or just wipe dry if not too much of a mess. I eventually throw the towel away with no worries about spontaneous combustion, etc.

I do recommend this product.

View mafe's profile

mafe

We need clean hands so we will not mess up the nice wood.
;-)
Best thoughts,
Mads

2072 posts in 1276 days

@mafe, and the current thread about the finger staining from woods is what prompted me to share this product as a review. One thing leads to another, it seems.

Regards,

DG

View ward63's profile

ward63

Can it be used a as a paint remover or paint stripper? Now that would be great!

View rrdesigns's profile

rrdesigns

Thanks. I live in a paint filled world. I’ll definitely give this product a try.

-- Beth, Oklahoma, Rambling Road Designs

2072 posts in 1276 days

Update: I just used this last night to clean my hands that were completely soaked with Minwax Dark Mahogany Stain. First application got 90% or so. Second got the rest except around the edges of my fingernails, but after rinsing I immediately wiped each with a terry cloth shop towel and it all came out / off.

Look, Mom ! No solvents !

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

Thanks for the review, I too will need to look for this stuff. Do you know if it is only available at Sherwin Williams or can we get other places?

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

At Amazon

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

I use a Permatex product sold at Auto Zone. It has Orange scent in it. It has pumice and cleans great. I started using it about 20 years ago before Sherwin Williams came to my town.