I like to buy my tools by the pound….

Review by TDLewis posted 1111 days ago 5243 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I like to buy my tools by the pound…. I like to buy my tools by the pound…. I like to buy my tools by the pound…. Click the pictures to enlarge them

And I got money’s worth with the Craftsman Contractor Table Saw, model 21833. One of the benefits to being out of work is that I can shop endlessly on Craigslist- I saw someone selling this good looking table saw for $450.00, checked the reviews on Lumberjocks and decided this might fit my needs. As luck would have it, there were 2 available at the Sears Outlet Store. One was in Minneapolis, 1,500 miles away and one at the store just 25 miles away. I hustled on over, paid $330.00 before tax which works out to just over a dollar a pound as this thing is listed at 288 pounds and it seems heavier! The big discount on this new saw was due to the box missing the top. Everything was there except the box top but I guess that made it a no-go for the retail store.
It pretty much filled the bed of my pickup truck and the neighbors will be talking about me unloading it by myself for years to come!
For my time and trouble I got a belt driven, 1.75 HP motor and a beefy cast iron table, which can double as helicopter landing pad. The main compliant from our other reviewers was the poor instruction book and alignment issues. I guess my tool was built on a Wednesday after the workers got an extra bit of pork or chicken in their rice ball as this thing was tight, straight, parallel and all the nuts, bolts and screws were in their correct amount and delivery bags. The fence got a little tap with the mallet and it is dead nuts on. The saw passed the nickel test with flying colors (note upright nickel in picture three) and the riving knife, miter gage and push stick all seem up to code. It took about 3.5 hours for myself and a detail oriented associate to put it all together- I though the directions flowed pretty good, with only a slight hiccup towards the end but all in all, this saw will fill my needs for quite a while and I’m giving it two thumbs up!

An added bonus- the casters are velvet smooth and it rolls easily around the garage till I trip the foot petal and it settles down for a work session. I spend an hour on a project for a serious test and as soon as it was together could not be happier with the results. It would be nice if the box said made in USA, Germany or Japan but since that’s not going to happen any time soon, I’ll admit the descendants of Chairman Mao did an excellent job of manufacturing this table saw.

View TDLewis's profile

TDLewis

View MickeyGee's profile

MickeyGee

Great review – nicely done on getting the beast unloaded by yourself.
Hope all that money you saved can be split between the chiropractor and a few new blades! Hell of a deal btw – I looked all over my part of the world for this exact saw when I was looking for a new one but no dice. Great saw, great deal! looking forward to seeing some projects have fun!

-- -- Mike

View RJweb's profile

RJweb

great deal, good luck with it. Istn’ this saw the same as the ridgid 4512, maybe made by the same manufactureer, enjoy

-- Life Begins @ 190 MPH

View tomd's profile

tomd

Good luck with your new saw, keep a cuttin.

-- Tom D

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1267 days

It is for all practical purposes the same as the Ridgid 4512 (which I have and enjoy immensely). Great price you got there, too. When you put a good blade in it, it will really shine for you. Just remember that you can’t put too thin a blade in there than the riving knife. Have fun.

View Marc's profile

Marc

Very nice! I got mine in almost the same way! I’ve had it for about a year now and don’t have any complaints. Oh, and my neighbors probably have similar stories about me unloading mine too!

-- Marc, http://www.logicallymarc.com/

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

Good buy!!!! :)

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View MOJOE's profile

MOJOE

Nice fine…..I don’t know, as I don’t have that model, but is the clear blade guard in pic 3 oriented properly…..seems to me like it is upside down…....

-- Measuring twice and cutting once only works if you read the tape correctly!

View V1king's profile

V1king

You got a great deal on a great saw. I bought the same saw a few months ago, and had a similar set-up experience. 2 thumbs up from me, too!

View DurocShark's profile

DurocShark

I’ve had mine for over a year and love it. I replaced the miter gauge with a V27 and am MUCH happier.

It’s still as smooth and solid as the day I put it together. This saw is far and away a superior saw to the usual “Crapsman” saws we see everywhere.

-- -Don