High Speed Air Sander with Jacobs Chuck

Review by Raymond posted 08-03-2011 06:06 AM 1835 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
High Speed Air Sander with Jacobs Chuck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My last find from my recient trip to Harbor Freight was this Air Sander with Jacobs chuck. 18000 RPM 4 CFM @ 90 PSI. come with 3 backing plates 3” 4” and 5.5” and a 3/8 jacobs chuck. Tons of power, it was missing one of the wrenchs but Harbor Freight customer service sent one right out. One reviewer on HF’s site commented that the sholder on the nut that holds the backing plate and sand paper on is very shallow I have to agree and infact turned a new one on my metal lathe. It now works great and removes material like mad. Again no air fittings this is a real peeve with me, the could include it. But for 14.99 it is a good buy. Changing from sander to drill is a snap, unscrew the backing plate, screw on the chuck, install the screw “left hand thread” to lock the chuck in place and your done. You now have an 18000 RPM drill. I gave it 4 stars because of the backing plate issue. Otherwise a good tool.

-- Ray

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#1 posted 08-03-2011 10:33 PM

”Again no air fittings this is a real peeve with me, the could include it.”
Any idea how many different types and sizes of fittings exist ?
How much do you think it would cost to supply one of each in every air tool that they make, and wouldn’t that be a giant waste of resources in the end ?

Regarding the tool , I’ve had one of these for years and it hasn’t let me down yet : )

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#2 posted 08-04-2011 04:09 AM

I agree there are several types of fittings. However for the most part we all use a standard 1/4 fitting.
And beside they package them with there nail guns, why not with other air tools. It just would be a nice touch. But in the end I always grab a few fittings every time I purchase a new air tool.

-- Ray

#3 posted 08-04-2011 11:42 AM

That’s exactly my point , there is no “standard” 1/4” fitting…...I’ve worked in five different locations and each one had their own fittings that they used : (
Right now I’m working at a place that has a 1/4” fitting on a 1” drive impact wrench , because “it fits” !
The poor gun is starving to death for more air to work properly , but I can’t convince them of that. : (
Off to work now for me …Have a great day : )