Just awesome. Get it.

Review by funchuck posted 1120 days ago 4501 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Just awesome.  Get it. Just awesome.  Get it. Just awesome.  Get it. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got this plane last week and put it through it’s paces. One thing I noticed right away is that thick toe! The picture in the review is the BU Jointer next to the jack. The jack’s toe is very thick because the entire front area adjusts (see picture). In the jointer, only a small area in front of the mouth adjusts.

In the jointer review, I complained about the uncomfortable tote, but for some reason, I don’t notice it as much with the jack. I think this may partly be due to the weight, or maybe the jack is better balanced? I am not sure.

What I am sure about is that this plane is awesome. It is great as a shooting board plane. I also have a blade to use it as a smoother, and another blade with more camber as a jack. Swapping blades is very quick and easy. Only problem I have is that adjusting the blade is a little hard to do. Sometimes, when I move the blade in or out, the blade also moves laterally. I also have this problem with the jointer, but it’s not too bad of a problem. Switching blades and adjusting it is still faster with this plane over a traditional bevel down plane (at least for me).

If I can only have one plane, this would definitely be it. I like this plane a lot!

-- Charles from California

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1397 posts in 2096 days

I don’t have any veritas planes myself, but i thought that those little set screws on either side of the mouth are supposed to trap the blade to prevent that problem with unwanted lateral movement…?

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

I have both these planes as well and I must be spoiled. I bought them before I got into vintage Stanley planes. After tuning up each Stanley I still reach for my verities la bu planes. The side set screws keep the iron from any lateral side to side movement but don’t prevent lateral ANGULAR movement. This is a common complaint of theNorris style adjuster where both are controled by one knob. You have to be careful when adjusingt depth that you don’t nudge the knob laterally while twisting. But this is inherent in the Norris design and not just these planes.

Great pics by the way

-- It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe. - Muhammad Ali

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Drool drool….

By the way, where’s the obligatory transparent shaving photo?

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View Mcnervy's profile

Mcnervy

I agree 100%
this is my first High quality jack plane
I have been using a 40+ year old trusworthy, Razor sharp still unplesant to use
Using this plane on my new Propper work bench is a absolute joy
Buy this if you need a Jack plane
comes sharp from the factory

-- Bennett; If it can't be fixed with a hammer its an electical problem

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

in Chris Schwartz blog there was a spot about a guy who makes replacement totes for LV planes and they are comfortable old stanley like shaped. I got a tote and knob from the guy for my LV BU Jointer plane. Its very nice. for about $40

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

Steve,

I have seen his handles on e-bay and given them serious consideration. However, I have limited expreince with LN or Stanley totes. I find the Veritas totes pretty comfortable. The Woodriver #4 tote that I have is downright painful after just I few minutes. So, I may not know what I am missing.

Do you think the the replacement tote is worth it?

View JeremyPringle's profile

JeremyPringle

To AaronK. Yes, the set screws on the side of the plane are to keep the blade in the center of the mouth. They should not be tight, just snug, to allow for some movement. I actually really like that about Veritas planes.

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

lysdexic,
I got cherry handles like the ones in the picture. They are smooth and very professionaly finished. The shape is a gentle curve rather than the nearly rectangular handles on the LV. I found the LV handle to be OK but not great. I really like the new handles. Crown tools makes a replacemant set of tote and knob for roughly the same priice, however only fits stanley and stanley like planes. Bill Ritner is the maker of the custom tote and knob.