First Nova chuck and very disappointed

Review by SSMDad posted 08-02-2011 05:19 PM 4052 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Nova chuck and very disappointed No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I originally purchased the PSI Barracuda2000 chuck and it worked well until two of the jaw popped out and got stuck. When I returned it I figured I’d try this Nova since people seemed so keen on the brand and the “SuperNova” was overkill for me.

Firstly the little threads that grab onto the piece: the Nova only has 1 and it doesn’t grip that well (the PSI I believe has 4 threads on the jaws). I tried 4 different types and sizes of blanks (both spindle and tennoned face which was sized appropriately for these jaws) and every single time I got the lathe up to about mid-RPM’s the piece went flying as soon as I touched a tool to it. The single key is nice but I actually prefer PSI’s double bars. It seems like you can get more leverage and tighter with them.

The movement is smooth and it’s definitely a sturdy piece of machined metal but for the price and grip performance and being that it only comes with the 50mm jaws it’s not really worth the expense. I’ve since returned it and gotten another PSI B2000 chuck which works well.. (guess that’s quality assurance/control for made in china products…some are ok, some are buggered)

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

View Darell's profile

Darell

#1 posted 08-02-2011 08:34 PM

Sorry you had trouble with your G3. I’ve had mine for 3 years with no problems at all. Never had a piece fly off. I like mine so much I’m seriously considering the Supernova2. Guess there’s always a lemon somewhere.

-- Darell, Norman, Ok.

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

#2 posted 08-02-2011 10:02 PM

It happens. No matter what it is there’s always the possibility of getting one that missed it’s mark. haha
It’s also I suppose what one is comfortable with. That’s awesome you’re on 3 years though! See now THAT speaks to them being good!

#3 posted 08-04-2011 10:07 PM

“Gotta love those lathey days…”.LMAO : ) thank you !!

View slickSqueegie's profile

slickSqueegie

#4 posted 10-27-2011 01:58 PM

I have the Nove as well and love it. The only problem I had with mine was not novas fault. Woodcraft sold me an aftermarket threaded insert that was marked nova. It sholdnt have been. after about a month of going back and fourth with nova and woodcraft the issue was fixed. I know it took a while but i will say Woodcraft sent me a 50 gift card for my troubles and nova sent me a new insert.

-- Come check out more of my projects at http://www.mdwoodart.com