Great plane, but uncomfortable tote

Review by funchuck posted 996 days ago 3262 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great plane, but uncomfortable tote Great plane, but uncomfortable tote Great plane, but uncomfortable tote Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this plane for about 4 months. I originally bought it because I wanted a premium jointer plane, but the other ones (from LN) were much more expensive. Actually, when I bought this, I did not know that LN also made bevel up planes.

On this plane, I find the adjuster a little hard to use. The adjuster controls both the lateral position, as well as the depth, but when I adjust the depth, sometimes, I’ll accidentally change the lateral position. It’s not too bad though, and usually things go ok.

The adjustable mouth is very nice and it is very easy to open/close the mouth. There is also a stop that prevents the mouth from banging into the blade… I really like this feature. The adjustable mouth also makes it easy to take out, or put in, the blade. In fact, it is very easy to swap blades on this plane. No chipbreaker to unscrew either.

The worst thing about this plane is the tote. I find it uncomfortable. I do wish the tote was more curvy. After using this plane a while, the area between my thumb and first finger gets sore.

The other thing that bugs me about this plane is, why didn’t they make the sides square like most normal planes?

I also have the Veritas Low Angle Jack, with a total of 6 irons. It’s nice to swap blades for what I need, although the Jointer never really uses any other iron except it’s own. But, it’s nice to know they all can share the same blade. For this reason, I’ll probably buy the BU Smoother later too.

Bertha

If all you dislike is the tote, that’s a simple enough fix. I don’t like the aesthetics of the LV planes but this is a very attractive plane otherwise. I’d start working on a tote that you like. This plane wants to be used!

funchuck

I have thought about making my own tote, but I am still a beginner in many ways. I have never made anything too curvy, but I also have a few projects ahead of me too.

The tote isn’t really bad either. If it was really bad, I probably would have rated it 3 stars or lower.

Bertha

Chuck, if you copy the angle of the mounting post, you can shape the tote very simply. I like a round microplane ($20 or so) and a collection of sandpaper. I think you’d find it a really fun process and you’d end up with a plane that you can push around for hours. Give it some consideration (says the guy who’s now buying totes, instead of making them).

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

11998 posts in 2604 days

I belive the same guy who sells Stanley replacement totes on ebay makes Bailey style replacement totes for Veritas planes.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

Boy that sounds familiar! I said the exact same thing about mine.

“The one thing that I don’t like about the plane and that’s the tote. It’s the first thing that I grabbed when I finally got it out of all of that packaging and I instantly knew that it didn’t fit my hand.”

Now that I’ve logged a few hours with it, I don’t notice the tote so much now. Maybe it will grow on you too?

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View Newage Neanderthal's profile

Newage Neanderthal

I have the three that make up the bevel-up set and from what I have found is these planes beg to be used about 3” higher than the Stanley style grip. Try using it on something a bit higher and see how it feels. I actually really like this as it will let me build my new bench a bit higher which is great for cutting joinery. Just my $.22, yep my opinion is worth eleven times most others.

-- www.newageneanderthal.blogspot.com . @NANeanderthal on twitter

funchuck

Hmm, maybe I should give it a shot. I am wondering though, the tote is held in with 2 screws, but if I wanted a curvy tote, only one screw can be used. Would this be a problem? I did see some replacement totes that used a shorter 2nd screw, but I’m not sure where to get those.

Chunk: I do hope that it will grow on me, but I have logged a lot of hours with it too. I think making a tote will be the best solution.

NANeanderthal: I’ll have to try that! Thanks.

View ChuckM's profile

ChuckM

“I’ll accidentally change the lateral position. It’s not too bad though, and usually things go ok.”

Try if the use of the set screws may help with this problem. The set screws are an unique feature in Veritas planes.

Personally, I have had no problems with the tote as some other users have found. By the way, remember to also use your body (and legs) not just your hand and arm to drive your big or heavy planes forward. A dead tight fist grip will sooner or later wear your palm and wrist down no matter what tote you use. Chris Schwartz or some writer has shown the importance of this point.

-- The time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2071 posts in 1146 days

Amen to higher work surfaces when needed. It’s our shop, so why not make it all fit you ?

Standard heights came from average male user heights of 5’9” or so, but what about us beyond 6 feet tall ? I’m 6’2” and have raised everything (except the table saw) 5 to 7 inches so I can stand straight up to work. The new router table was 35”, but is now 42”. The new Ridgid planer is 33 1/2”. It will be at 40” when I raise it. Custom ergonomics.

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

I seriously considered buying this jointer a few months ago but what stopped me was the fact that the edge was not square which means that I could not use it as a straight edge to check my progress when flattening an edge, nor could I use it on a shooting board in a hurry.
In the end, I went the vintage Stanley way, bought a 100 years old plane on which I put a replacement blade and could not be any happier with it.
Of all the Veritas BU planes, the BU jack is indeed the one that is tempting me the most….

Thank you for your review of both the Jointer and Jack planes !

-- Fabrice - "On est bien bête mais on sent bien quand on se fait mal" - my grandfather

funchuck

llwynog: Yup, that BU Jack is awesome! My plan is to buy all 3 of the BU family. Only one missing is the smoother, but that also doesn’t have square sides. The LA smoother does have square sides, and is a bit smaller, so I might go for that one, but that means I can’t share blades. I already have 6 blades with differing angles and cambers, so I might still go for the BU smoother.

I don’t usually use my jointer as a straightedge because I think it is straight when you can take a full length shaving. I’m still new at this, so I’m not sure of that, actually. I still like having square sides because I use a shooting board a lot, and I think it also looks nicer (if that counts!).

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

Charles,
If you take full length shavings, it is indeed possible that you have achieved a flat surface but anyhow, I like to be able to identify the high spots in advance to concentrate on them.

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

check out this blog.

I got a replacement tote and knob from the business mentioned in the blog. they are very nice and comfortable, they cost about $40. check it out itsw worth it.

Bertha

^now that’s more like it. :)

View Steve Rathke's profile

Steve Rathke

it totaly wroth it to UPGRADE. The LV planes are very nice.