Very nice saw

Review by funchuck posted 989 days ago 2922 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very nice saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was reluctant to buy this saw because the reviews online did not seem too positive. The main complaint was the handle, which was said to be uncomfortable. But, I decided to buy it anyways because I didn’t think I’d use this saw as much as my smaller saws.

When I received the saw, the handle felt much better than I expected. In fact, I think it was comfortable. The handle is not as nice as the Veritas saws I have though, so I knocked off 1 star for that.

I ripped some poplar and it cut well. I am not someone who is experienced using handsaws, but I was able to get this saw to cut reasonably straight. I also ended up using it a lot more than I anticipated because I have 2 other rip saws: the Veritas dovetail saw, and a japanese ryoba. The dovetail saw is too small for anything but joinery. I find the ryoba difficult to control, so I use the Pax handsaw a lot. I do plan on buying a tenon saw in the future though, and that will reduce my usage of the Pax handsaw, but for now, I have no complaints about this saw.

-- Charles from California

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

Thanks for the review. I am also looking for a good rip saw and have often wondered about the PAX.
Refreshing to read a new opinion on the subject. It is true that the handle is what has been putting me off…

-- Fabrice - "On est bien bĂȘte mais on sent bien quand on se fait mal" - my grandfather

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

I’ve been using it almost on a daily basis, and the handle isn’t bad at all. My Veritas saws are much more comfortable though. The Veritas saws fit my hand like a glove, and they feel very good to use. The Pax is not bad though. After long sawing sessions, my hands feel ok, and only my arms are sore from the sawing, so I know that the handle is good.

I am considering buying more Pax saws (probably the crosscut panel saw), but I am also thinking about trying out a Wenzloff if I can wait long enough to save the cash.

-- Charles from California

View llwynog's profile

llwynog

Wenzloff saws are indeed a completely different range of prices… They are probably great saws but I could never spend that much on a saw.

View thiel's profile

thiel

I have the Pax crosscut panel saw. Haven’t used it a ton, but like it…. and the quality seems great in spite of it costing a lot less.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency