My Grizzy Experience

Review by Danc333 posted 08-02-2011 03:12 AM 4013 views 1 time favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My Grizzy Experience My Grizzy Experience No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello, This is my first post, but I wanted to talk about my experience so far. After much research I decided to buy a Grizzly 715 hybrid table saw. It arrived well packed and in excellent condition. I took my time setting it up and installing my TS-LS positioner with router table. It took me a couple weeks to finish, working a couple hours at night. I have to say over all I am very impressed with the saw. I like the build quality and the fit and finish are very good. The cast iron table is level and the saw runs smooth.The blade mechanism operates smoothly. This is a major upgrade for me as I am replacing an old plastic Craftsman bench top saw. I was able to get the blade parallel to the miter slot to within .0015 thousandths and the fence within .0005. Then my miter gauge showed up. A Incra 1000se and Miter Express. I discovered that my blade alignment changed when I lowered the blade.The first picture is the blade fully raised with the needle at zero. The second picture is with the blade about 1 1/2 inches raised. Just like the other members on this board described. I tried all of the recommended fixes that where talked about. Nothing had any effect. Lesson learned check the basic stuff before you do anything else. Anyway. I called tech support and the first guy I spoke to said right away that it would probable be a return, but he went through his procedures of having me check this measurement and that adjustment. After remeasuring and calling back and speaking to a different person I was told to check this again and that again. I re checked things and called back with the same findings and spoke to yet a third person who asked me to email pictures of the problem which I did. Then I got an email response that made me quite angry. I was told it seemed like I was doing something wrong and they couldn’t help me. When I responded to that email by threatening to take my business elsewhere and they can come pick up this saw and give me my money back did I get results. I hate that it had to come to that because of all the good things I read about the company, but It did. They picked up my saw today so they can look at it themselves. We will see what happens next. Based on the research from this board I am expecting a complete replacement. I wish I could afford the 690,or even the 1023, but I can’t. I spent my money on the fence system and miter gauge. I felt that made more sense. I am not a pro woodworker and I think the fence and miter gauge will help me more then a 3HP saw, once the one I bought is aligned properly. I will update this review when have the results. I want to say that I am really enjoying this board so far and hope to actually contribute once I start making things. Thank you. Dan

View Danc333's profile

Danc333

View robdem's profile

robdem

#1 posted 08-02-2011 04:11 AM

Just ordered this saw hope this not going to be a problem for me but I think it is going to be 50 50 shot but like u can’t afford the 690. Should have saw in about a week I’ll let you know how I make out .

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#2 posted 08-02-2011 04:51 AM

Thanks for the review. Grizzly had almost universally good reviews on LJ’s; however over the past 3-4 months there has been a number of reviews specifically commenting on poor customer service from the company. Coincidence? Probably, but will still make me think twice about purchasing from them, rather than a local dealer.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Ritty's profile

Ritty

#3 posted 08-02-2011 05:11 AM

checkto see if grizzle has switch were they manufacture their sawsmaybe they went to china ha well besst of luck to ya

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

457 posts in 1960 days

#4 posted 08-02-2011 05:15 AM

I own a few grizzly products and while mine have been outstanding I have bought machines that have been around quite awhile though.

I hope grizzly isn’t getting lazy on their quality control becuase they have some good stuff for the price. I can remember the days when the good stuff was made in the USA and it lasted a lifetime. That’s probably a broad spectrum, but it appears lots of things today, especially the lower end stuff is made really cheap no matter who makes/brands it.

If you could have waited a bit longer I would have opted for the 1023 or 690. I waited a bit longer for the 1023 just for the sheer fact that hopefully that will be the only TS I will buy in a very long time to come.

Good luck,

Kevin

-- Williamsburg, KY

#5 posted 08-02-2011 05:54 AM

Grizzly has already tools manufactured in China, but I wont be surprise if they move most from Taiwan to China.

#6 posted 08-02-2011 06:04 AM

I have noticed their tech support. Each person has different experiences in specific things.
Some are expert in jointers, some in table saws,bandsaw, etc.

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

#7 posted 08-02-2011 06:47 AM

Thats to bad to here. I agree with (manitario), the last 3-45 months grizzly have been having so-so reviews…
Your next purchase I would look going with a Delta Machinery.. Not only are there machines great, but you get great customer service. (Grizzly Fans please don’t eat me…..LOL)

Thanks, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#8 posted 08-02-2011 07:27 AM

i wish i could write a good review about grizzly

what would be better is to read one

but “ego” gets in the way and the conversation soon goes south

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

15337 posts in 1943 days

#9 posted 08-02-2011 10:40 AM

Intereesting post. Thx for taking the time. I hope it all works out. I like Grizzly and have there 14 inch band-saw.

But they really made me mad the last time I delt with them. They e-mailed me with a sale on a Oscillating Spindle Sander. I ordered it 5 min after getting the email and got a reply the next day were 3 months back-ordered as there made over-seas. I asked then why send a sale to me? Seems everything is going oversee even Delta. We can only hope for the best. I ended up buying a better machine for less than grizzly in the end but I feel your pain.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#10 posted 08-02-2011 01:44 PM

Really hate to hear this as I was contemplating ordering a 691. I have a GO555X and never had a problem though.
Did you by any chance change to a better blade? The ones that typically come with the saws (most brands) are not considered top quality.
Please let us know the resolution to this.

-- Life is good.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#11 posted 08-02-2011 01:50 PM

Moron, you’re quite right. I’ve inserted my foot in my mouth for the last time in threads like this. All I will offer is a sincere hope that the problem gets resolved. At least you were informed enough to spot it and had the appropriate measuring tools to plead your case. Good luck!

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

#12 posted 08-02-2011 02:48 PM

Please read this. I had the EXACT SAME ISSUE. The alignment would change when I raised and lowered the blade.

View TrentFysty's profile

TrentFysty

#13 posted 08-02-2011 06:12 PM

That’s not good to hear that their service was not up to par for you. I had the opposite experience last week. I had an arbor bearing go out on my 1023SLWX. I got online and placed an order for a new bearing and because the bearing caused damage to the arbor when it failed I ordered a new arbor assembly as well. The next afternoon I got an email stating that they were out of stock on the arbor until the end of August. There was no way I could have my saw be down for that time so I got on here and asked what ideas people had. I got the suggestion to go to a machine shop.

Before deciding on a machine shop I thought I would just call Grizzly and see if they had any other options. The customer service rep listened to my problem and was understanding of the fact I couldn’t be without a saw for a month. He said he would do what he could to find one for me. I got a call that afternoon that he had one and would send it out right away.

To me, that is excellent customer service. I think the major issue is getting different people with different skill sets and willingness to help. Hopefully it gets better, but have hope that there are still good reps there that do their job well.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#14 posted 08-02-2011 07:00 PM

I am fortunate I have never had a problem with a Grizzly tool or customer service.

-- Mike

#15 posted 08-02-2011 08:27 PM

It seems everyone are having problem with the polar bear series.