Detail Chisels from Lee Valley Tools

Review by tomfidgen posted 2240 days ago 5165 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Detail Chisels from Lee Valley Tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I first purchased the set of five Detail Chisels from Lee Valley Tools a little over a year ago and can say I’ve used them on an almost daily basis ever since. My first impression when they arrived via Mail-order was the size. They’re small, extremely light and almost hobby like. Being used to chopping out mortises and cutting dovetails with heavier European style chisels, I decided to give the Detail Chisels a try and was pleasantly surprised by what I discovered. Using Chisels with only hand force was nothing new to me; however, using chisels designed to be used with only hand force was something new and quite exciting. For cleaning out dovetails and other fine paring style work these small chisels excel. The small size fits comfortably in hand almost like an extension of your fingers slicing and manipulating wood fibers in an effortless fashion. Designed by Yeung Chan, a California cabinetmaker, they have pau ferro octagonal handles and blades of O1 tool steel. The set of five consists of three dovetail-style chisels (bevel-edged to a narrow land on each side), one trimming chisel, and a 1/16” wide tapered chisel perfect for fine detail work. The chisels can be purchased individually however this set of five handles all of my fine detail work. Another advantage of the set of five is the price, at $ 195.00 this high quality set of hand made chisels is one of the sweetest deals I’ve found.

-- tom fidgen, www.theUnpluggedWoodshop.com

View tomfidgen's profile

tomfidgen

Look nice. A great set of chisles. I assume that paring tenons would also be high on their list.

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

Yeah I was looking at those online recently. rumor has it you can use any veritas brand blade or chisel right from the package – no lapping or honing required.

-- --Chuck

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Now that looks like something to add to my “must have” list.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

i have been coveting those for a long time. Should have the cash soon.

-- making sawdust....

Thanks for the review. I have been considering something like this for working on dovetails but wondered if they could do the job.

View logndog's profile

logndog

I have the same set,and they are awesome. Right out of the box. I always wanted some quality chisels.I am happy with them. I like sorbys as well.and also use pfiel for carving.

View robswork's profile

robswork

To Tom or anyone who has these chisels, what is the size of these chisels? I have heard coments like hobby chisels and wonder about the size.