A "cliff's notes" for hand and power tool maintenance

Review by Tedstor posted 07-31-2011 05:08 PM 1717 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A "cliff's notes" for hand and power tool maintenance No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Out of impulse, I bought this FWW magazine. Its not actually one of their usually monthly editions, but an extra volume which gives a nice overview on maintaining and improving all sorts of hand and power tools.
A few examples from the table of contents include (very non-exhaustive):

- Tool Kit for Tune-Ups Explaining the tools needed for measuring table saw run-out, jointer blade height, etc. And explains how to use them effectively. Anyone that doesn’t know how to do this should run (not walk) to the bookstore right now (LOL)

- Dust Proof Any Tablesaw Speaks for itself

- Master the Mortiser This is a tool I will likely own eventually, but have never used. That said, its an article I will refer back to

- A Look at Universal Motors How to maintain and repair power tools with U-motors

- Troubleshooting a Spray Gun Speaks for itself

- Tune Up a Handplane A great tutorial

- Rehab a Cheap Spokeshave How to take a $20 Stanley from Lowes and turn it into a winner. I actually tried this and it made a HUGE difference

- Sharpening and Using Card Scrapers I’m guessing only about 1% of the woodworking world is proficient on this topic

And about 20 more that I’m too lazy to write.

Two things to consider:
1- If your an old hat to the woodworking craft, you probably won’t gain much here.
2- Many of these articles are from past FWW volumes. If you’re a long-time subscriber, you’ve probably already seen these.
HOWEVER, this special edition compiles the content in a conveinent format that can be quickly referenced without digging through 5 years worth of back issues or performing a google search. It hits the meat and potatoes of each topic without a lot of extra fluff. I plan to keep it close-at-hand and use it as a quick reference guide when needed. Easily more than $10 (cover-price) worth of knowledge to be had. I think Costco charged me $8. It appears this volume will be available on stands until Oct 2011, but back orders can probably be ordered.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

15304 posts in 1935 days

#1 posted 07-31-2011 06:20 PM

Intereting post thx for sharing.

View saddletramp's profile

saddletramp

#2 posted 08-01-2011 02:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

-- ♫♪♪♫♫ Saddletramp, saddletramp, I'm as free as the breeze and I ride where I please, saddletramp ♪♪♪♫♪ ...... Bob W....NW Michigan (Traverse City area)

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

#3 posted 08-01-2011 02:53 PM

I saw that on the shelf this weekend and was wondering if anyone had perused it.
Thanks for sharing the info!

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1127 posts in 1989 days

#4 posted 08-08-2011 08:19 AM

I bought it a when it came out locally and found the plane sections very useful. The rest of the mag was really helpful too
Highly recommended to purchase.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View woodzy's profile

woodzy

#5 posted 09-10-2011 03:11 PM

I bought this issue. Almost every peice of information inside was usefull to me. I would assume that many experienced woodworkers would find the information redundant.
As an avid FWW mag reader i was disapointed to see they recycled many of the sections inside from previous issues. Actually they didn’t change much at all in the hand plane section. Which is an exact copy from a previous issue right down to the puctures they use.

The informationon tool setup and ajustments was great and really helped me tune my all the tools in my shop.

-- Anthony