Carving or Chiseling Made Easier

Review by Grumpy posted 992 days ago 2608 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Carving or Chiseling Made Easier Carving or Chiseling Made Easier Carving or Chiseling Made Easier Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently bought the Arbortech “power Chisel Attachment”. This was after I noticed the application of a similar tool used by Trifern on his blog on hollow turning. http://lumberjocks.com/trifern/blog/24331
Here is a link to the Arbortech website.
I purchased the unit from Carb-A-Tec in Sydney, $179 AU (about $195 US)
(I have no affiliation with either of these people)
I thought it would be cheaper than buying the whole unit which included the power tool which is essentially a 710w 4” angle grinder.
I already had 2 4” angle grinders, 1 had an Arbortech carving disc (excellent tool) attached to one so I naturally thought there would be no problem fitting this attachment to that tool. Even the retailer said if the grinder fitted the carving disc it would take the chisel attachment as well.
But alas Murphy was at home that day, you know Murphy he’s the guy that is around when everything that could go wrong does go wrong, ‘Murphy’s law’
Well the attachment did not fit the grinder with the other Arbortech tool and low & behold it did not fit the other one either.
So I was up for a new grinder. After a few careful measurements I found the Makita GA4030K for $66 AU (about $72 US) fitted the attachment. The combined price of $245 AU ($267 US) still worked out cheaper than the $275 AU ($300 US) price tag for the complete unit. In fact the power tool that comes with the complete unit looks very similar to the Makita GA4030K.
As far as the Worth of the purchase I would say the tool is expensive but has many applications both for carving and general woodworking. The ease of cutting and the control is impressive. I will be buying more chisels even though they are expensive.
Thanks to Joe (Trifern) for the heads up on his blog.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19063 posts in 2351 days

1 comment so far

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

That should be a great tool. I just purchased the arbortech mini grinder attachment and the Makita variable speed grinder to use with it. I have other grinders but they all have one speed…full blast. The rep at arbortech told me about the variable speed grinder and it made sense. Much easier to control at lower rpm’s.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com