For The Pizza Lover

Review by lew posted 07-30-2011 07:58 PM 1580 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
For The Pizza Lover For The Pizza Lover No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you are looking for a nice project for the pizza lover in your family, this is it!

Extremely well made, heavy- 12.5 ounces (without the handle), sharp, and the blade is mounted on the axle so there is absolutely no “wobble”. The cutter also includes a threaded insert for the handle- so the handle can be removed and the cutter place in the dishwasher-and an allen wrench to help thread the insert into your handle.

The instructions are well written, including tips on how to get the insert straight as it is threaded into the handle. I ran into one problem, however, and it was probably my fault. During the insert installation, my first handle split. The split occurred on a glue line so I suspect the joint was not glued properly. In addition, what I failed to notice was that the threaded insert is tapered on the outside.

On the second handle, I took some extra precautions- just in case. A cushioned hose clamp relieved the pressures created by the tapered insert. Also once the insert was started, using the allen wrench, and the technique for tapping a hole in metal; thread in a little, back out a little; the operation was completed without a problem.

At $19 it is a little expensive but when you pick it up and use it you will realize it is not overpriced. I think these will be on the list for Christmas gifts for a few of the relatives.

Thanks for looking!

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7091 posts in 1989 days

#1 posted 07-30-2011 08:12 PM

hey there lew, these are perfect for the whole pizza ensamble…its very attractive, great job…

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#2 posted 07-30-2011 08:26 PM

Thanks Lew, this will be on my Christmas gift list as well. Does this justify buying a lathe?...(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Chuck- Thanks!!

View cranesgonewild's profile

cranesgonewild

#6 posted 07-30-2011 10:57 PM

That’s a cool pizza slicer with a personal touch.
Very good tip on the threaded insert.
I might need that when I make my BBQ cover handles in the next couple of weeks.

Also, here’s another cool pizza slicer.

-- I'm a Fungi --

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#7 posted 07-31-2011 02:15 AM

Lew, thanks for the review.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#8 posted 07-31-2011 06:21 AM

cranes..- I was tempted to get one of these but Mimi mentioned about trying to make something to go along with the peel. I should have realized the insert was tapered but completely missed it. Between the taper and the bad glue job, the split was inevitable.

CJ- Thanks!!

View Russ Anderson's profile

Russ Anderson

46 posts in 2014 days

#11 posted 08-01-2011 04:14 PM

Would it have been possible to install the insert before turning?

-- Russ

#12 posted 08-01-2011 04:24 PM

Russ-

I think that would work especially if the insert was threaded into place- to cut the threads into the wood and then removed for turning so the insert didn’t damage the cone center on the tail stock. Thanks for the idea!

View Victor708's profile

Victor708

44 posts in 1999 days

#13 posted 08-02-2011 03:23 PM

I look at this cutter almost everytime I’m in Rocklers. I think I’ll go ahead and pick one up.

Thanks
Vic

-- "If a man is alone in the forrest with no woman to hear him. Is he still Wrong?" http://www.hawkinswoodworking.com

#14 posted 08-02-2011 03:34 PM

Vic-

I think you will find it very well made and worth the price.

View fernandoindia's profile

fernandoindia

#15 posted 08-20-2012 06:38 PM

Hi Lew. Great review. I did finally buy 3 kit of this cutter from Rockler. They are terrific. As you said, worth every penny. Tough, sharp, heavy enough. BTW, I am insisting with a celtic knot. Hope this time I can glue it up better.

Take care