Rigid Collated Screw Gun. Drive about 20 screws / minute (with video)

Review by Craftsman on the lake posted 07-28-2011 01:33 AM 15361 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rigid Collated Screw Gun. Drive about 20 screws / minute (with video) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve started renovating the house. This tool might not be used a lot in the shop but for this use it’s pretty nice. Lot’s of tearing down and lots of new sheetrock going up. Also lots of backerboard and subfloor. I dread all the screws. I came across this rigid (made by Senco) collated screwgun at HD. It is a corded drill that has a mechanism to hold a plastic tape of drywall or flooring screws. They feed up through a slot automatically. The mechanism that feeds them is simple. Put pressure on the end of the drill and it rolls a new screw up into the front of the drill and sets it so that the drill bit will hit it when you pull the trigger.

After you get used to it it is pretty slick. I figure that I can do up to five to ten screws with this compared to one using a drill/driver and setting the screw manually. I found that the first couple of screws, after loading a new tape of 50 screws sometimes balked at lining up. The solution to that is to simply put a little slack in the tape to get it started. Also, it has to be perpendicular to your drilling surface. I’ve decided to do the corner screws by hand if I need to get them close to the corner as you’d have to tilt the drill a bit which makes it not seat screws well.

A nice feature is that it has an allen wrench to adjust the tip to the length of the screw being used. Marks on the side indicate screw size to set it at. Then there is a wheel dial to adjust the depth of dimple you want the screw set at. With sheetrock this is great. And the depth setting gives consistent dimple sets each time; just right for taping later. The gun is also about double the length of a regular drill. Doing the floors will be a pleasure as I’ll just have to bend over and not be on my knees to set screws by hand.

After opening a box of screws and finishing off one room with them I had to go back and tweak about 30 screws out of maybe 400 I’d estimate. If you have all your lines drawn you can do 400 screws at the rate of about 20 a minute. The whole room took under an hour using this tool and doing some screw cleanup afterwards. Along with going over about 30 screws I had about 5 jams where I wasted 5 screws. Not bad considering the considerable time saved. This was just a bedroom. I’ve got the rest of the house to do over time. The walls and floors will be much easier with this tool. The cost is $99 for the corded version, about $179 for the battery. Reviews online said the battery one ran out of juice after a short time but has a 20 minute charge time. They also said the battery one seemed a little under powered. These comments prompted me to get the 110 volt one. It is plenty fast, not under powered and the cord is 12 feet long. Enough for most rooms with wall sockets. It also comes with phillips and square head bits.

If this thing lasts the house renovation over the next year then for $99 the time/effort saved would have been really worth it even if it’s worn out after that time. Screws are available in boxes of 1000 on tapes of 50. They are more expensive but weighing the tedium of putting in thousands of screws against the extra cost is no contest for me.
I did a short video showing it in action.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#1 posted 07-28-2011 03:13 AM

Dan, this is insanely fast! looks like a huge time and effort saver, and for 99 its definitely cost efficient. I would probably have gone the corded version route myself. I used to be in construction and worked in places we didnt have power (new construction) so cordless was gold, but once I changed profession, the batteries sitting on the shelf just died after a while and won’t take a charge anymore, so for a once-in-a-while use, I think corded is a winner.

thanks for the review. good to see first hand (so to speak) the power of this sort of tool if ever needed.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#2 posted 07-28-2011 04:13 AM

I’ve never used one of them A buddy of mine bought one for putting down floors with screws. (I guess sub floors) Looks like you tool is fun to use.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#3 posted 07-28-2011 10:05 AM

they might have an extension for it because on the one i have it does and you can stand up fully and drive screws in the sub floor. its amazing.

how are the price of the screws?

-- Ben L

#4 posted 07-28-2011 01:54 PM

The screws cost about $15 per pack of 1000. More or less depending on length.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7193 posts in 2058 days

#5 posted 07-29-2011 03:35 AM

congrats on the new remodel job there…and wow its your own house at that…what does the boss pay ya on this job..well i bet the break times are long with plenty of coffee and maybe a few donuts along the way…good luck with this new screw gun…i think the extra cost for the screws will be well worth it….i hope you will do some blogs of this job along the way…i love this kind of work…im going to refinish the wood floors in my house sometimes before the summer is over…so ill get a little remodel work in…good luck…grizz

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

#6 posted 07-29-2011 06:32 AM

I will blog the place eventually Grizz. Till then here's a link to my last house that I did.

And the boss is happy to have it started. You’re right, everyone else first. What’s that old saying? “the cobbler’s son is the last to have shoes?”. Actually I retired from teaching after 30 years about 5 years ago. I found that if you charge just a little less than people trying to make a living at this stuff you can get lots of work. So I’ve been trying to start my own place since 2005. It’s finally arrived!

Here’s a little pict of the part I’m at… This is just part of a bedroom. Long way to go in a place that was built in the 50’s. Old family home on the lake.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#7 posted 07-29-2011 11:00 AM

Great tool. Wish they would have had that a few years ago when I ended up with just a standard dry wall gun. The self loading would have been really nice as I did the ceiling.

-- Scott in Texas

#8 posted 08-03-2011 04:44 AM

Nice review and the short video was a bonus, Dan : )
Looks like you’ll be busy for a while and that screw gun will really save you some time…I have seen other models with long extension handles to save your back while doing subfloors / decking and also ceilings .
Best wishes !