Logging Arch to move medium size logs

Review by HalDougherty posted 1078 days ago 8676 views 5 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Logging Arch to move medium size logs Logging Arch to move medium size logs Logging Arch to move medium size logs Click the pictures to enlarge them

I found a great logging arch for sale on Craig’s List last week. It was located about 300 miles from my shop, but the seller was kind enough to meet me 100 miles closer. That was a big help and saved me about 3 hours of driving time.

The American Bandsaw company makes a great product to move logs. The model I bought used is a 24-12 arch. It is designed to move a log 12’ long, 24” in diameter and 3000 lbs in weight. The sycamore log in the first photo is 24” on the big end and 10.5” long and it’s estimated weight is about 1400 lbs. It just cleared the road, so I’m going to change the hitch to raise the ball a few inches to give a little more clearance for 24” logs. I got this log home without dragging on anything, but it was close.

The second log I picked up was slightly smaller in diameter, but a little longer. It is a great saw log. It’s big enough to make a good amount of lumber and small enough to move, load and turn. I got enough walnut boards from this log to make 32 gunstock blanks. My Timberking 1220 will handle a log 34” in diameter, but a log that size would be more than one person can load and turn on a manual sawmill. I’m going to build a saw shed with an overhead beam. I’ll attach a pulley and use a winch to load and turn logs larger than 24”.

I also found another great use for the logging arch. After I pulled the walnut log to my sawmill, I put the arch next to the mill, attached a line to the legs, pulled the center of the across the log and attached the winch. Then I used the winch to parbuckle the log on my sawmill.

And yes I know my garage needs painting. I’m going to tear it down next Spring and build my new shop where both the garage and my storage building sit. My work area also needs to be mowed.. I had enough money saved to buy a mower, but I used the money I’d saved to buy this log arch. If I’d got the mower, it wouldn’t make money to buy an arch. At least I’ll be able to fetch 24” or smaller logs and make some lumber and other products to sell and buy a mower soon!

-- Hal, Tennessee http://www.first285.com

View HalDougherty's profile

HalDougherty

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

Sounds like you have your priorities in order, besides if that grass gets too tall it will just lay down anyway.
Some of the older loggers and sawmill people have restored an old steam sawmill at Fort Harrison here in
Missoula, and they have these big wheeled cassions (as in the cassions go rolling along) arches they used
back before skidders came along, will try to get some pictures. Looks like you have enough there to
keep having fun for quite a while. Thank you for sharing.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

That thing is cool, I want one! I never knew anything like that exisited!

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Hal, I was just laughing to myself how the grass growing in your mill sled must feel when that thing fires up. “Hey guys, you feel that? What the? Oooooh Nooooo!” Lol

View mmccoy1951's profile

mmccoy1951

Great looking arch and that walnut log doesn’t look bad ether.

-- Mike

View redryder's profile

redryder

2097 posts in 1685 days

I’ve spent many hours wrestling logs onto a flatbed trailer. This thing looks pretty handy…........

-- mike...............

View STL's profile

STL

Good find Hal! I’ve had plans to make one of those for a couple of years and just haven’t gotten around to it yet. It looks like it would save a great deal of time and effort for moving logs.

-- Dan Siggers, Alabama, http://www.siggerstraditionsllc.com

View rance's profile

rance

That’s a cool tool. As for the grass growing up, first thing that came to mind was “It Ran When I Parked It”.

from http://www.stovebolt.com/features/itran/itran2007/photos.html

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

That is a nice log hauling device! It looks like the wood miser has been out of use for a while. I wish you had that near here in Grand Rapids when we had that big storm a few weeks ago. there were some mighty nice maple logs available and clear for 8 ft….........Jim