drill assesment

Review by grizzman posted 07-27-2011 12:20 AM 3552 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
drill assesment No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this drill for about 2 1/2 years and i want to now give my thoughts on this drill and how it has performed. first of all i will have to be truly honest about this and wont sugar coat this one bit. the drill out of the gate was a big disappointment, it had hardly any power, but it did have enough to do the small screws i was using at the time, but as time went on i became less and less happy with its performance and decided to take it in for repair, there were several issues, one, there was not enough power and two, the batteries were not taking a good charge, in my unhappy state i also had gone out and purchased another drill, and when i powered up the batteries and used it..it just about knocked my socks off, this drill had power, i had to use if for a repair on a 4×4 and was going to use 3 inch screws, well it drove them in like it hadn’t even broke a sweat, and i had a grin from ear to ear, but back to this Milwaukee drill driver, i took it in for repair and why it took all of 6 weeks to finally get this repaired i don’t know why, but they told me at first that it needed a new motor and they had to get approval for the warranty work , it was approved, after they installed the new motor they could still hold the chuck in there hand and stop the movement, so a re test was done and they said i need new batteries, so a new request went in for warranty on the batteries and the answer to it was we will cover the replacement of those as well, i had talked to the repair tech and told him the whole story on this drill, it was a bad one from the start, they had to replace the charger after about 1 1/2 and now a new motor and new batteries. now that those have been replaced the drill is wonderful, it has full power and it goes and goes. i have to say that i was not impressed at all with my first Milwaukee purchase, as i had seen this brand for many years used by my friends, and i thought it would be a tool with a good reputation. but i do have to give them 5 stars for service, they went above and beyond and in my book they made good on there product and it now runs like a drill should.

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 07-27-2011 02:48 AM

Thanks for the honest review, Grizz. I have a couple of corded Milwaukee tools and so far they have worked well. The local dealer is always running specials and when I need to replace my cordless drill/driver, I think it will probably be one of these.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View LittlePaw's profile

LittlePaw

#3 posted 07-27-2011 02:58 AM

Good to hear some equip’t maker still back up their products. By the way, is Milwaukee made in China? I went in to buy an angle grinder one day and discovered that every, and I mean EVERY grinder such as Skil, Black & Decker, Porter Cable, Bosch, and Dewalt are ALL MADE IN CHINA! I walked out without buying any!

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#4 posted 07-27-2011 03:18 AM

I have never had a problem with any of my Milwaukee products, they are all heavy duty and run rings around the popular name brands.
As Milwaukee’s slogan says – “Nothing but Heavy Duty” – believe it!
You should try their router bits. top quality, made in Italy by Freud and costs less. They are also packed in the same Freud packaging under the Milwaukee Name.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#5 posted 07-27-2011 04:09 AM

I am slowly replacing all of my DeWalt drills with Milwaukee. DeWalt batteries cost too much and the Mil’s perform great.

-- Life is good.

View acducey's profile

acducey

#6 posted 07-27-2011 04:51 AM

I have this drill. It got so the batteries would not take a charge, and from something I read on the net about their chargers failing, I sent the charger in to be checked & repaired. It came back in less than a week saying that it checked out OK, and their was “no cost for the service or shipping”. Meanwhile I had found my purchase records and discovered that the ‘new drill’ and batteries were over four years old! A new set of batteries was purchased, and apart from a failed LED light, it’s as good as new! My faith has been restored.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 2006 days

#7 posted 07-28-2011 12:23 AM

I have the 28V Li-ion Milwaukee. They can be spendy but worth every dime.

Great review!

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View CptWingnut's profile

CptWingnut

#8 posted 07-29-2011 07:00 AM

I have the drill/impact driver combo kit, and they are worth every cent. The 18V impact driver that pairs with this drill driver is amazing for driving hardware, once you try it you’ll wonder why you’ve been ruining your shoulder for so long driving screws with a drill!

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

2988 posts in 1995 days

#9 posted 07-29-2011 07:37 PM

As I have reported in previous threads, you can’t compare a 2-1/2 year old tool with one manufactured a month or two ago. They may have changed country of manufacture in that time, voiding any comparison. I would find it hard to recommend a tool to others, based on performance of a tool that is 2-3 years old