Good starter table.

Review by kshipp posted 2371 days ago 2351 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good starter table. Good starter table. Good starter table. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this router table as part of a combo with this router. My previous router table was all molded plastic and had a significant bow in the table making it useless.

This table is nice for a starter table but it doesn’t have a lot of the high end features. The fence is very adjustable with the ability to move the out feed side independently and also slide the sides to cover the bit hole. There is a 2 1/2” dust extraction port on the back which I haven’t used because the router on its own does an excellent job of dust collection and I only have a ShopVac.

The miter gauge fits loosely in the slot and I wouldn’t trust it for precise angle adjustments.

I also plan on adding some supports to the bottom of the table. The top is really flat now but I want to prevent the chipboard from sagging over time. The legs are plastic but I don’t see any problem with them holding up over time.

There is a duplex switch outlet which is very nice for plugging in the router and the ShopVac. The only complaint I have is the switch is quite large and in the center of the front of the table. I know this is probably actually a good thing but I have shut the router off a few times when getting close to try to line up the board. Again, a good safety feature but it can get in the way sometimes.

Mine is the 80th Anniversary edition but that just means they had to put them on a good sale at the end of last year. The same combo is currently available without the 80th Anniversary logo for $129. Let me know if anyone wants to buy a collector’s item. :)

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

View Pretzel's profile

Pretzel

miter gauge fix- wrap masking tape on runner lengthwise Craftsman machinist don’t know how to set-up a mill

-- Pretzel L8agn

View jSchrock's profile

jSchrock

48 posts in 2068 days

#2 posted 2025 days ago

do you still use the table or have you moved on since then

View Kenshu's profile

Kenshu

23 posts in 2001 days

I received this combo as a christmas gift. I have used it on a few occassions and it certainly beats not having any router table but I will be building myself a stand alone table soon. The router that came with the combo is a nice upgrade to my old skil router that was severly under powered so overall I am quite happy with the gift.

-- The second mouse gets the cheese.

View 72hw's profile

72hw

I know this is an older review, but since I fell for the price of this set up I have to comment. I am new to the whole woodworking thing and was even newer when I bought this table / router combo. The price was what got me – with an extra 20% off coupon from OSH it rang up right around $70 all in. The router alone is worth more than that, so I don’t feel I’m out anything really… But the table is a POS in my opinion.

The adjustable outfeed fence plate, while easy to adjust, flexes a LOT even with minimal pressure against it. The miter slot is a non-standard size so nothing fits it other than the crap gauge Craftsman supplies. The mitre track is loose and the screws used to hold it in place do not sink flush with the working surface so the gauge keeps hanging up on them.

Are these things fixable? Sure – but do I want to put in the effort or just smile knowing I got a pretty decent router at a pretty decent price and get a different table?

Would I recommend this table to a friend? Sorry, but Hells No! There seem to be a lot better tables out there for just a touch more money.

I know my novice status may be called into question here, but I have worked on second hand mills and lathes held together will little more than the will of the mind and they have functioned better than this thing.

-- “Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.” ― Hunter S. Thompson