Keeping it clean - aprons in the shop

Review by coloradoclimber posted 07-26-2011 06:05 AM 1681 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Keeping it clean - aprons in the shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like most of you guys and gals, when I get a chance to run out into the shop off I skedaddle. If I do think ahead I change into my grubby jeans and tee shirt, if I don’t think ahead I start working in whatever good clothes I’m wearing. And probably like most of you when my hands get dirty, or if I get glue on my fingers, or finish, or whatever, I just wipe them on my jeans, or shirt tail, whatever piece of cloth that is handy.

Not Anymore !!! No more tracking glue and shaving back into the house!! How you say!! How can it be that I keep my clean clothes clean and have stopped tracking saw dust, glue, shavings, varnish, and whatever else back into the house!!

Listen close, I’m about to tell you …. I’ve started wearing an apron in the shop. Not just any apron. I’ve started wearing a CHEAP apron. Not some fancy heavy canvas duck apron, or some special workshop apron, no sir, I’m using the cheapest bottom of the line 6 for 12 dollars polyester aprons from Sams Club.

Why these cheap junky aprons?? Why not some fancy expensive special woodworking apron? Why, because they are cheap. If I ruin one, well I’m out 2 dollars, not 45 dollars. I don’t mind wiping glue all over it, or varnish, or whatever. I get six in a pack so when one is dirty I have 5 more to work through. I can have some in the wash and still have some for the shop. Or I can just throw them away if they get too funky.

I recommend them, get a pack and hang all 6 on a hook near the door to your shop. Wear one for a couple of sessions and see how dirty it gets. Wood dust, shop dirt, this, that, and other nasty stuff. And then take it off as you head back in the house. Your significant other will thank you.

View coloradoclimber's profile

coloradoclimber

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#1 posted 07-26-2011 09:14 AM

ya i used to wear those but then i tried a cross back apron and its so much more comfy. i can carry mad tools in my rockler apron and not even notice.

-- Ben L

View spunwood's profile

spunwood

#2 posted 07-26-2011 04:01 PM

I have a rockler too which I like, but this seems like a great way to save money. Also, sometimes my rockler apron has big pockets that get hooked on things and can be unsafe.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 07-26-2011 07:48 PM

I do the same thing – mostly for metalworking, but recently started doing the same for woodworking as it keeps the majority of sawdust away from my pants/shirt so I don’t get in trouble when I go back in the house.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.