Review of Delta 14" Bandsaw, Sawing with a Delta

Review by Delta356 posted 07-25-2011 08:35 PM 8537 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review of Delta 14" Bandsaw, Sawing with a Delta No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When it came to buying a new bandsaw, I really took my time on which one I wanted. I looked at all the main brands, and compared the difference. There were really not very many difference. They all cut wood…I ended up going with the brand that pioneered the 14” bandsaw, Delta Machinery.

I bought this bad boy at Rockler when they had there 15% of Delta tools.

The Bandsaw comes in one big box, and it weighs a lot. The way the box was shaped it was very hard for two people to hold, so my pops and I just slide it off the back of the car and into the shop. Right out the box, this bandsaw has quality, craftsmanship and innovation built into it. The instructions were excellent, always with Delta tools. Set up took about 3 hours. The stand and motor takes the most time. After the stand is assembled., its time to get a helper, and lift that bad ass onto the stand. Man was that heavy. The bandsaw is very hard to lift, because of the bandsaw shape.. After 3 hours you have a great running bandsaw. The only adjustment I had to make was the little red colored arrow that showed the angle of the table. Every thing was dead on.

Photobucket
This bandsaw comes with 9 spoke cast wheels.

Photobucket
The Bandsaw has a push on/off switch.

Photobucket
For the table it has a trunnion system that can allow the table to tilt 45 to the right , and 3 to the left.

Photobucket
The Delta 28-206 has the biggest table size in it class, coming out to be 16”x16”

Photobucket
It comes with innovated design for tension. (Quick Tension release lever) (TENSIONED)

(NOT TENSIONED)

Photobucket
Also has an 4” dust port casted into the bandsaw saw.

Photobucket
1 hp motor, great for res-awing..

Photobucket
Quick release power connect which makes it great when you need to work on the saw. SAFETY FIRST…

What the bandsaw can do..

It can cut curves..

Photobucket
It can cut long curved boards..

Photobucket
It can crosscut.. (Very nice designed Delta Miter gauge)

It can also Re-saw..

Some upgrades you should do when you first get the bandsaw…

Photobucket
Replace the stock steel guide blocks with Olsons cool blocks..

Photobucket
Get some zero clearence saw plates. Smoother Cut.

Photobucket
Rockler makes a guide system for templates that is really nice and does not cost a lot..

Well that concludes the review. I have had this bandsaw since Nov of 2010 and has served me great and will serve me for a very long time…
If you are a Pro, hobbyist, or DYI this is a great bandsaw for you..

Portland,OR

#1 posted 07-25-2011 08:45 PM

I don’t know, Michael. Delta bandsaws are small, lightweight, and flimsy.

They also don’t cut so good.

LOL!

#2 posted 07-25-2011 09:13 PM

I want one of these.

$650 and free shipping at Amazon. Drool…

#3 posted 07-25-2011 09:17 PM

David, I upgraded from a tiny 12” Delta to a massive 20” Delta. I had my 12” for 8 years and my 20” for three months or so. I’ve already used my new one more than my old one. If you buy, buy big; that’s my only morsel of advice.

#4 posted 07-25-2011 09:25 PM

Al, what is the resaw capacity (height) on your big saw ?

The Ridgid is only 6”.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#5 posted 07-25-2011 09:40 PM

That sure is puuurdy.

#6 posted 07-25-2011 09:46 PM

You have to rub it in Don’t you. My Bandsaw will take yours any day….. : )

#7 posted 07-25-2011 09:49 PM

What Saw are we talking about, The 1 hour 30, min review I wrote and spent time on , or Al’ s big SAW….. : (
I LOST THE SPOT LIGHT ,,,,,,,,,LOL… : )

#8 posted 07-25-2011 09:51 PM

Sorry Micheal! That wasn’t intended as a hijack, rather a sharing in the warm glow that is Delta. I was certain you’d approve.

#9 posted 07-25-2011 09:54 PM

Bertha its all in fun, This is a happy place for people to talk and share….: )

It would take two of my bandsaw to match your height, and 2 to match the width…LOL

Portland,OR

#10 posted 07-25-2011 09:55 PM

In response, however, I’m not sure of the resaw capability. Let’s just say that it’s bigger than anything I’ve tried to resaw in it. And to make matters even worse (sorry again Michael), I paid less than Michael did. By the time I add all the Carter bells and whistles, I’ll end up spending quite a bit. Oh yeah, and all the rewiring expense too.

What I’m trying to say is that I like Michaels new saw. And I DEFNITELY APPRECIATE the review. I asked my saw about your proposed fight and he said he was too old for that. He also said not to bother him while he’s playing Angry Birds with my mortiser;)

It’s a very nice saw, Michael. I read every word of your review. Anytime I don’t look at Delta for a new tool, I know I’ve got to face you.

#11 posted 07-25-2011 10:00 PM

Thanks Bertha…..

#12 posted 07-25-2011 10:00 PM

I see Michael’s is 12.25 inches with the height adjustment accessory… So, $750 shipped.

I like it !

I would have to sell a car to have Al’s monster. ;=)

#13 posted 07-25-2011 10:05 PM

You’d have to MOVE the car for a vintage Rockwell, not sell one. I see them around for less than a grand. But unless you’re planning major resaws, the blades are almost 12 feet long and not exactly friendly to change. At $15/foot for carbide blades, the math becomes painfully obvious. If I was ever doing a lot of curved work, I’d buy a 2nd bandsaw, one like Michael’s Delta. Wrestling an angry $180 1-inch blade onto my machine isn’t exactly a ton of fun. I much prefered picking up a $15 one at Lowes and avoiding the trauma.

View Mickey Cassiba's profile

Mickey Cassiba

#14 posted 07-25-2011 10:31 PM

I’ve had a -206 for around five years. I don’t do any major re-sawing so the riser isn’t on my list. I’ve modified mine over the years, carter roller guides and a Cobra tension spring, oh yeah, and a set of stepped pulleys, so I can change speeds. The thing has never let me down. Good buy!

-- One of these hammers oughta fix that...

#15 posted 07-26-2011 06:03 PM

I actually just got the riser kit for this bandsaw. There not cheap. Delta wants the most out of all other brands. I paid $104.50 from tool plus, best price I could find.

I will be posting a review/ set up on this riser kit, soon as possible.

Thank you for the comments..