Great Natural Oil Finish

Review by Ian W posted 1096 days ago 3550 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Natural Oil Finish No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I couple of weeks ago I bought a quart of Homestead House Hemp Oil Wood Finish in Toronto Ontario mostly as an experiment. Hemp oil was new to me but the sales person promoted it as a locally grown alternative to Tung Oil. I have been very pleased with the hemp oil.

Initially the Hemp Oil was used as a rubbed on finish on some raw wood. It was easy to work with, and easy to clean up and smelled nice. The resulting finish was a gentle semi-gloss shine that high lighted the grain of the wood nicely.

Next I used it on top of Milk Paint. The milk paint I was using gave me good colour but it was absolutely flat, after rubbing a sock damped with a bit of Hemp Oil over the milk paint I again I had very pleasant semi-gloss finish.

The final use, lately was as a cutting board finish. Hemp Oil is tasteless and food safe, and best of all it makes the grain pop wonderfully. The added bonus is the cutting board owner can refresh their used board with any sort of vegetable oil later and their is no worry about compatibility.

What I will have to see is how the finish stands up over time and how well it stores. I have been assured that it will not go rancid like walnut oil or develop a skin like Tung Oil. Time will tell. At this point I am very happy with the product and will soon have to buy more.

-- any time in the wood shop is GOOD TIME

View Ian W's profile

Ian W

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

Im all for the uses of the hemp plant, underutilized in my opinion. Thanks for the review but expect it would come from vancouver, the probably have plenty of leftovers.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

WOW , I never knew that this existed…a little research states that it has extraordinary healing properties including fighting existing cancer cells…..Thanks for sharing this with us : )
Learn something new everyday !!

John Gray

Where can you buy this in the United States?

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

JG, are you referring to the specific product or Hemp Oil in general ?
I got the latter for consumption and possible health benefits from Amazon : )
Warnings
For optimal freshness, keep refrigerated. Use within 8-12 weeks of opening. Freezing extends shelf life. To conserve EFAs, don’t fry with hemp oil.

Has mild nutty flavor.

John Gray

Dusty thanks for the reply. I’m looking for the oil to be used as a wood finish.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

JG , it’s probably one in the same oil with a fancy label…Just like Mineral oil and butcher block oil : )
One is $2 a pint and the other is $11…LOL

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

I’d like to give it a try, anybody have a good source at the cheapest price?

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

View raydizzle's profile

raydizzle

hows the progress on the hemp oil going
I’m planning on maybe using this instead of tung oil on a few furniture projects

John Gray

I’m stil lookin’ too. Anybody?????

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

”alternative to Tung Oil. ” Are we talking about pure Tung Oil or processed T.oil that has dryers , etc. in it ?

”refresh their used board with any sort of vegetable oil later and their is no worry about compatibility.”
Vegetable oils become rancid over time , and shouldn’t be used on cutting boards.
How long does the oil take to dry and does it build up in layers to create different sheens / glosses ?
Does it get tacky and collect dust , etc.?

View Ian W's profile

Ian W

Raydizzle,
I have not used hemp oil on a furniture projects so I really can’t offer an opinion. Logically it should be similar to linseed oil, but that is just a guess.

Dusty 56
pure tung oil is very nice but I did not have good luck with it. It got sticky and quickly developed a skin that made it a pain to use.

Yes your basic vegetable oil can go rancid, but I say vegetable oil to reduce the chance that someone will poison themselves but using a toxic or semi-toxic furniture polish to make their boards nice again.
The oil dries fairly quickly, I only put on two coats so can’t say how much sheen will build up, and haven’t had a problem with tacky or dust collection.
I have sold and given away dozens of cutting boards in the last year of two and had no unhappy customers.

You can order Hemp Oil from Homestead House Paints in Toronto Ontario Canada. I have no idea if it can be shipped to foreign countries.

-- any time in the wood shop is GOOD TIME

Thanks for the info and have a great weekend : )