Good jig but not perfect

Review by slash51 posted 1105 days ago 2888 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good jig but not perfect No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was recently at my local Woodcraft and they only had a display model so I was reluctant to buy but i went ahead and bit the bullet and bought it anyways. The price was $399 which was $50 less and I didnt have to pay for shipping or wait for it to come in the mail. So after making sure they had all the parts that came with it which they did I went ahead and bought it. I got it home and had to do some adjusting to get it to fit my router (Ridgid plunge) which was easy enough. The only thing about that was for my perticular router it takes a little more work to remove the base when using it outside of the FMT even though the base will fit most routers with easy on and off adjustment tabs but not mine. Easy fix would be to buy a new router or just take the time 5 min. tops to take FMT base off and reaply my router base. I just always look for new excuses to buy tools. I’m beginning to think that’s my favorite part of woodworking. The only other issue I have with it is that you can only go but about 1 and a half inches deep with your mortise but no real big deal breaker there. All in all it does everything it claims to and with a little setup and adjustment i think ALMOST anyone can be making mortise and tenon joints in no time. I have a dedicated mortisor (Steel City) and a tenoning jig but would prefer the FMT. So if you dont have a mortiser and are in the market for a good jig this may be the one for you.

-- Jason, Alabama

View slash51's profile

slash51

View Ritty's profile

Ritty

hey to make a deeper mortise u can always buy a longer bit

View REL's profile

REL

I had one. Didn’t like it. Too much time for me to set up and then to disassemble to use the (Bosh) router for other tasks.

Domino is so much faster and of course much more expensive.

-- REL, North Jersey

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

I have the original one and have used it for many years now. I love it

-- making sawdust....