Grizzly G0690 Sawed in Alabama

Review by woodmaker posted 1086 days ago 3878 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0690 Sawed in Alabama No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally have 220 in the shop now and cut my first piece of wood with this saw.
Only a 2×6 but it went through the saw like warm butter. I was very pleased.
Vibration is near zero and the saw is very quite; I was surprised as to just how quiet.

This is my 3rd table saw all others were big box bought portable contractor type.

I’m not going to repeat all the specs again, most folks here already know about this saw.

As far as the cosmolene there was very little actually; I was expecting more from what I have read here.

The saw went together easily. I had two neighbors help me lift it off the pallet and onto the mobile base. Whew, what a job! We did have some trouble squaring the base. I would prefer swivel casters all the way around so I will wait awhile before I enlist my neighbors help again. :-) One neighbor left immediately after it was on the base and the other stayed and helped me with the wings and the rails. The main rail is a heavy bugger all by itself.
I immediately waxed the top with Johnsons Paste wax to prevent rust.
I am so looking forward to doing more work with this saw.

View TheKingInYellow's profile

TheKingInYellow

Mine’s on a truck from Missouri right now.

You just don’t hear any bad things about these saws.

-- I'm just learning how to cut the stuff with some other stuff...

Congratulations on your saw.

I’m trying to put an older Grizzly together. My ex- son-in-law stripped it on his way out the door. I cast iron wings, power switch, fence blade and plate were stripped so I’m trying to patch it together.

I remember it as being a great saw when it was working.

woodmaker

No you don’t. I lurked here for over a year reading all about it.
There are not many reviews on the internet, the most I found was here which is why I joined.
Real use reviews by real people and not a magazine that relys on their advertising.

-- Mike

I’ve got a Griz planer and jointer (Both) with carbide inset drums. They are the cats meow. They do make great tools.

View Howie's profile

Howie

Woodmaker- I have a feeling your post is going to cost me money. I’ve been eyeballing the 691(ext) for some time.
I think you’ve made a great purchase.

-- Life is good.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5355 posts in 1961 days

Congrats on the new saw. The neighbor that left immediately probably went to check to see what he popped! You and your new saw deserve a nice new blade to celebrate the occasion!

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

Congrats on the new saw! I was saving up for a 690 but ended up receiving a gently used Unisaw as a gift instead.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Nice review.Your review sealed the deal for my next purchase.As much as I would like the new Delta or PM 66 I can’t justify the price. How do like the quality of your extension table? I am going to order the 691 in a few more weeks and was wondering what the black materials make up and quality.Grizzly calls the extension dimensionally stable top,I am guessing it is melamine.

View DanW's profile

DanW

Hey Woodmaker, I have several items from Grizzly (14” bandsaw w/ extention block, 8” jointer, knife sharpener, 15” planer, shopfox fence with 7’ rails) and I have never had any problems with any of them. The only time I have had to talk to service was after a friend of mine started to load my planer into my pickup and he dropped it off of his tractor. In 4 days time I had the parts to repair it and the cost was unbelievably reasonable. I was treated not like a number but like a friend. I’ve been to the Williamsport, PA showroom (I guess technically it’s Muncy PA but My sis lives in Willaimsport) It is a sight to behold (at least for a woodwoorker lol).
Dan

-- "Let he who does not work in wood, find something else that's half as good." (can't remember who I'm quoting)

I went to a couple of their tent sales in Muncie PA. They are really a sight to behold.

woodmaker

Chipy the extension table is just fine, MDF so it can be replaced. The cast iron wings are great as well.

It is a sight to behold. My old saw looks like a toy.

Yep I couldn’t justify a 3k saw either which is why I went with Grizzly. It is a quality saw and I dare say they are just as equal as the 3k saws etc. since all are made overseas anywho, except Delta and that will change soon I hear.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Thanks woodmaker. I bought A-line-it kit to set my saw up. It’s a nice kit, good dial indicator and jig.It cost about 70 beans in case your interested.Scott

woodmaker

That does look liker a nice kit, worth considering.

woodmaker

Dan W., I have a host of other Grizzly products I intend to buy, most on your list actually.
I have 5 years to retire and I want to be able to create period furniture as a hobby and for extra money.

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 1973 days

most of delta saw have been made overseas. I saw a review on the new unisaw “made in the U.S.A.” They just slap a US made motor on it and call the entire saw a domestic product.

when i upgrade my table saw it will me the with this grizzly cabinet saw

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended