Great Sanding and Finishing Pad

Review by TheDane posted 07-20-2011 09:32 PM 2105 views 10 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Sanding and Finishing Pad No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been looking for a better solution for ‘scuffing’ project parts between finishing coats. Though sandpaper was an obvious choice, I seemed to be going through quite a bit and was leaving a lot of scratches between coats. #0000 steel wool works pretty well, but it is messy and (supposedly) doesn’t play well with water-based finishes.

Enter Rhynosoft Pads (thanks to Charles Neil for the tip!).

These are terrific. The pads are a good size (4-1/2” X 5-1/2”), come in 7 different grits (from 180 to 1200), and are only $9.95 for a box of 20. They are also available in 5-packs @ $2.25.

They wear like iron … IMHO, they are a lot tougher than the 3M branded pads the big box stores carry. They don’t break down like other pads I have used, you can fold/wad them up to conform to the shape of the piece and when you flatten them out, there aren’t any creases or folds in the abrasive.

—Gerry

EDIT … Mea Culpa … I got these from Industrial Abrasives http://www.industrialabrasives.com

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#1 posted 07-20-2011 11:11 PM

Thanks for the tip Gerry – these look really good! I assume the source is industrialabrasives.com?

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#2 posted 07-21-2011 12:15 AM

I found them at http://www.2sand.com/841/RhynoSoft-Pads-4-1/2-x-5-1/2-White-&-Red-Line.html

I haven’t tried them yet, but they sound pretty good.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#3 posted 07-21-2011 12:34 AM

Very interesting. How long does one pad last?

#4 posted 07-21-2011 01:57 AM

jayman7—Wish I had an answer for you, but so far (4 fairly good-sized projects) I haven’t worn any out yet. With the 3M pads from the big box, I would have gone thru at least a couple.

live4ever—Thanks for pointing out my omission. Fingers were running without brain engaged!

—Gerry

View Bigrock's profile (online now)

Bigrock

#5 posted 07-21-2011 02:33 AM

The great thing about this sandpaper, it has a foam back which allows you to fold the paper to get in curves. When I am finishing this is the sandpaper. This company is real great to work with. There shipping rates are real good also. Just call them. 1-800428-2222

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#6 posted 07-21-2011 01:38 PM

Good post Gerry , and I agree , they are the best , as well any of the abrasives they
sell have been top notch,I have tried them all, they are the best , and they are a small American family business, Sandy Reese is the owner,,, super people ,super service,,, They make all their own belts, and I also buy the bulk paper for my drum sander, stuff wears like iron…

www.industrialabrasives.com

#7 posted 07-21-2011 02:05 PM

Charles—Thought you were on VACATION!

You’re right about Industrial Abrasives … I have some of their flap sanders and mops, and they do a first-class job. As the junk from the big box disappears from the shelf, I’ll be replacing it with supplies for Sandy.

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#8 posted 07-21-2011 02:25 PM

Gerry , I AM on vacation, a working one, had to have some relief from filming, after the secretary and pie safe series, I was so far behind on client work, I had to take some time to get some of this stuff out the door,, as well as get a DVD completed,, no rest for the working man,, :) and its supposed to be 98 today and 100 tomorrow,,, not fun

#9 posted 07-21-2011 03:15 PM

Charles—Speaking of the pie safe series, THANKS!

Though I may not ever build a pie safe, watching this series was a terrific learning experience. You can bet that I’ll use the techniques, tips, and tricks that I have learned by watching it.

For those who haven’t seen it, Charles has posted a 25-episode series (about 13 hours worth of video) on YouTube that takes you completely through every phase of building and finishing a Virginia pie safe. I highly recommend it.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

418 posts in 2074 days

#10 posted 07-21-2011 03:38 PM

I agree with everything said above about Sandy and Industrial Abrasives..after teaching the rocker class and using belts and paper from industrial..I was hooked..I always used Klingspor or 3M and Norton 3x and Industrial Abrasives belts and papers beat them all, being hearing impaired I could not call to order..so I e mailed Sandy personally..and the response was immediate and the customer service was top notch.. but what surprised me the most was I had my order in three days..usually all other companies takes a week +

Hats off to Sandy and Industrial Abrasives..its now my single source for all my sanding needs..

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#11 posted 07-21-2011 05:05 PM

Gerry, thank you for the tip, I have been using the 3m, and was not impressed with them, will have to
order some of these before I start on my next project.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#12 posted 07-21-2011 05:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check into these.

View JonBikeRacer's profile

JonBikeRacer

#13 posted 11-01-2014 06:56 PM

I have to agree with what folks have to say about Industrial Abrasives. Their products are better than any I’ve ever used, and I’ve gone through a lot of sandpaper in my day.

-- Jon "That's about as close as I can eyeball it"