Outstanding Low-Profile JigSaw

Review by TheDane posted 07-18-2011 09:13 PM 4899 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Outstanding Low-Profile JigSaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Both of my 20+ year old jigsaws bit the dust, so I trundled off to Menards to scope out a replacement. I spotted this saw on sale ($84.95 … Rockwell’s MSRP is $149.99). Nobody on LJ’s had any experience with this saw ( http://lumberjocks.com/topics/27668 ), so I decided to take the leap (Menards has a pretty good return policy). I had about $80 in rebate coupons, so it was an easy purchase.

Full disclosure: I have always hated jigsaws (hard to control, hard to get straight cuts, screws would strip out on the blade holders, etc.), but I’ve had a change of heart. I have broken down sheet goods with it, used it to rough cut 4/4 hard maple, etc. ... jobs that I would have previously done only with a circular saw. I am pretty happy with both the tool and the results. No problems with the blade wandering in the grain, and it seems to have plenty of power.

This saw is compact (only stands 6” high), has a low center of gravity, and has 3 settings for orbital cutting action … you can set it to be aggressive for fast/rough cuts, or use one of the other two settings for finer cuts. It is variable speed, and uses off-the-shelf T-shank blades for tool-less blade changes.

I found it easy to control, and when hooked up to a ShopVac (it has a dust collection port that actually does a pretty decent job), cleaning up was pretty easy. It is a small thing, but another thing I appreciate is the 10-foot cord.

The only thing it is missing, IMHO, is LED lighting.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#1 posted 07-18-2011 09:18 PM

It’s a clever looking tool with the palm swell and all. I’m happy you posted this. My Dewalt jigsaw is tall and cumbersome. I’ve been using mostly pneumatic or a recip.

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

ChesapeakeBob

#2 posted 07-18-2011 09:57 PM

Do I dare ask… Where is it made?

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland

#3 posted 07-18-2011 11:28 PM

China. Wish it were made in the U.S. or Canada, but I also wish I had won the lottery Saturday night!

View redryder's profile

redryder

#4 posted 07-20-2011 08:21 AM

I have always hated jigsaws for the same reason as you. It’s a great tool to love if you can get it to love you back….......

-- mike...............

#5 posted 07-20-2011 04:28 PM

I don’t remember any Rockwell ads, but I don’t watch much TV, and when I do, I zone out during commercials. Since I got my ROKU, I have become a Netflix junky.

I only have 2 Rockwell tools (the jigsaw and their Sonicrafter multi-tool) ... I’m pretty happy with both of them.