Dadoing

Review by navtalk posted 07-17-2011 02:49 AM 4050 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dadoing Dadoing Dadoing Click the pictures to enlarge them

Please don’t be too concerned with my 3 STAR evaluation, I had to put something there and haven’t had the opportunity to use the saw. I am getting ready to start my first project, by the time I am through, I will be ready to give it a better/worse rating. I just purchased this R4510 Ridgid. I like it so far but it does have some irritating points. Trying to find a zero clearance insert for the standard blade and a dado blade is a lesson in futility. I finally had to make my own and will make several DADO widths. To remove the standard saw blade you have to release the clamp that holds the safety guard, the clamp is extremely tight and this old man had to use a wood lever to accomplish this. The pictures show the original plate and my 1/4 inch dado plate. You will notice that the dado plate has a saw kerf that wouldn’t be there if I had known how to remove the guard plate, future plates will not have that Kerf.. You will also notice the very wide slot for the standard plate this makes for some very poor cuts when using plywood, etc. causes chip out on the wood due to no support close to blade. The second picture shows the clamp, and guard plate. The third picture shows the original and my zero clearance plate, notice the difference in the width of the slots.
Navtalk

-- My G-Kids call me Grumpy

View navtalk's profile

navtalk

View Paul's profile

Paul

#1 posted 07-17-2011 04:04 AM

I shared some of the same frustrations when I first got my Ridgid Saw. Now I can make the zero clearance inserts quickly and since they are for my saw they probably fit better. The wide opening in the supplied insert is so that the blade can tilt without hitting it.
You’ll enjoy the saw for sure, it is a very good investment.
Welcome to Lumberjocks!

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

457 posts in 1959 days

#2 posted 07-18-2011 03:15 AM

Good luck in the future projects with your saw.

I acquired some baltic birch plywood from a cabinet shop they were going to cut up so that is what I’ve made all of my ZCI’s out of. Once you get the first couple down pat the rest come very easy.

Is this your first zci or have you made some in the past? If it’s your first I can provide a video that will probably help you.

Anyway, I keep several zci’s for 1/2, 3/4 1” stock and a few for custom dado’s.

Kevin

-- Williamsburg, KY

View navtalk's profile

navtalk

#3 posted 07-18-2011 04:30 AM

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the response. Just a bit about my equipment, most of my large units, drill press, acra arm saw, band saw, lathe are my Fathers, purchased when I was in high school, I am 73 years old. I have a lot of hand tools much more recent vintage. My Son bought a real fixer-upper, hence the new table saw, hand drill, bel sander and other tools. I am in the process of attempting to make some matching cabinets for their kitchen. The throat plate as you have seen is inadiquate at best. I have never made a throat plate until recently, having watched a couple videos about the subject. I have made three to date but the material
I used was old 1/4 inch ply and the plates resulting are barely adequate, my original throat plate is about 1/8th inch thick which makes a bit of a problem. I made two dado zci’s 1/4 and 3/4.
Thanks again. Navtalk

-- My G-Kids call me Grumpy

View acducey's profile

acducey

#4 posted 07-18-2011 06:42 AM

I recently acquired a new Rigid 4510 and promptly made a couple of ZCIs out of 12” Plywood, but for the next pair I’ll try to make out of a plastic kitchen cutting board which is about 1’2 thick, stiff, and has a slick surface.

View Ron Stewart's profile

Ron Stewart

#5 posted 07-19-2011 02:44 AM

Hi Navtalk,

> Trying to find a zero clearance insert for the standard blade and a dado blade is a lesson in futility.

This may be too late, given that you already made your own inserts, but Leecraft makes a nice insert for the R4510. You can find it at amazon.com if you search for “RIDGID R4510 Zero Clearance Insert”.

Ron