A Short & Sweet Resource

Review by MsDebbieP posted 1111 days ago 1978 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Short & Sweet Resource No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This book review is from the July 2011 issue of our LumberJocks’ eMag. Fox Chapel Publishing is donating another book for a free draw: The Missing Shop Manual “Bench Planes” by Ernie Conover.

At first, I thought about rating this little booklet as a 4-star because I don’t use planes. But, as I started watching the enclosed video and re-looked at the contents, I realized that it definitely had to be a 5-star. If I had a plane I might just have put it to work after being inspired by Ernie’s in-depth (yet short and understandable) instructions.

I have to admit that, although I follow most of the postings here at LumberJocks, I am not well-versed on hand tools. With that in mind, I still have to say that I think this “manual” covers everything you need to know about the care and use of hand planes. It talks about the different planes, the different components, sharpening, using, building one, and even how to date an old Stanley plane! Everything you need to know.

If you feel that you would like to begin a journey into using planes but just aren’t sure about which one to use and how best to use it, then this little book is for you!

My Ratings of The Book

Layout and Appearance: Good balance of images/ instructions, nicely organized . Thumbs Up!

Instructions: Clear information and instructions – and a video as well! Thumbs Up!

Inspiration: Made me “want to”. Thumbs Up!

Overall: Thumbs Up!

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.

To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.-

Deadline: August 10, 2011

Another big thank-you to Fox Chapel Publishing for their continued donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Always welcome new information, it seems there’s something in every publication to soak in
that others missed..

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

Nice review

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

988 posts in 1961 days

I received this as part of a class I took from Ernie earlier this year and it is GREAT!!

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Any chance he included video from his old plane restoring VHS on the DVD? The Plane Restoration VHS is really good.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Elizabeth's profile

Elizabeth

Interesting that it comes with a DVD; I got some books in this series last year and none of them had one. Is this the only one that includes a DVD or is that a new addition to the whole series?

View Roz's profile

Roz

Hi cuz, This is just what the doctor ordered. I have a arm load of planes and don’t know how to sharpen, set up or use them. I need this little book.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View WoodworkGuy's profile

WoodworkGuy

I am beginning to work more with hand planes. This looks like a nice fills-the-info-gap book.

-- Making sawdust and memories through woodworking.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

Wayne, I don’t see anything about restoring ..
and the other lost manual I have doesn’t have a DVD with it.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)