Small gripe about the grip.

Review by cam1297 posted 07-06-2011 11:21 PM 2986 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Small gripe about the grip. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I held out for a long time before I dropped the $50 to buy the Gorilla Gripper. It says it will grip and carry sheet goods from 3/8 to 1 1/8 inch thick. I could not get it to hold and carry 1/2 inch thick drywall without it sliding off. It was also difficult to adjust the gripping faces to hold the sheets. I was trying to carry the new ultra light drywall. It was easier to carry the panels myself than it was with the gorilla gripper. On the website, it shows the gripper being used to carry drywall, so maybe I was doing something wrong. I decided to test it on some 3/4 osb. It was about a half sheet scrap, and the gripper clamped down and carried it like a champ. I next tested it on a half sheet of 1/2 inch hardboard. Again, it worked great. I was surprised since I thought since the hardboard is slick like the drywall. I would have given the gripper 3.5 stars if there was a half star rating system. I’m sure with a little learning curve, it will be a useful tool to carry sheet goods.

View cam1297's profile

cam1297

64 posts in 1957 days

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

#1 posted 07-07-2011 12:42 AM

I haven’t used mine for drywall, but it works just fine for wood. I take it with me to the lumberyard and then use it to pull the sheets from the truck, turn them and carry them into the shop with no assistance.

It is a bit of a luxury item but comes in handy when you need it. I’ve used this to throw whole sheets of 3/4- 9 ply on the table saw or saw horses and not bust a gut. I’ve had two hernia’s repaired and don’t want a third. In my opinion it was worth it when you consider how much it will be used over the next 10-20 years.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 07-07-2011 11:19 PM

Good review. Even on sale @ 39, the prices is a little steep for this since as TR says, it’s a luxury item and in most cases it will see very little use in a year. If they lowered the price by half, they would triple their sales then.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View BillyJ's profile

BillyJ

622 posts in 1949 days

#3 posted 07-09-2011 02:48 AM

I agree with TechRedneck. I have yet to use it on drywall, also. However, it is an indispensable tool when you’re 57 and have had two hernias (honest TR, this isn’t just another – me too). I’ve tried other sheet-carry devices, and this is probably the easiest and best I’ve used.

The price? I honestly hated the recovery time for the hernias, so I’m going to pick up a couple more of these things and put them in every vehicle I have. As the old per-verbal saying goes – I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it (as happened to me the other day).

-- I've never seen a tree that I wouldn't like to repurpose into a project. I love the smell of wood in the morning - it smells like victory.

View mbruins's profile

mbruins

#4 posted 07-10-2011 03:16 AM

i got one as a gift for xmas and love it. I use a lot of 3/4 plywood for cabinets. My basement shop is only accessible through a door which lies at the bottom of a pretty steep hill. When uloading from the truck I used to have to pick up the sheets and lug them down the hill with no assistance. I have strained my 30 something year old back several times doing this. Since I have started using this thing though, I can handle a 3/4” sheet with no problem. I’ll admit, I have never lugged drywall with it, but I have gripped two sheets of 1/4 ply with it with no problems, which I thought was pretty cool.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#5 posted 07-10-2011 04:09 AM

I bought a plastic Stanley carry handle about 10 years ago for a few dollars when I started remodeling our
new, to us, house and have used it to carry everything from drywall to 3/4” OSB flooring and plywood, as
my signature indicates, I am 72 years old and have been accused of having a weak mind and a strong back,
but with this carrier, I just set the sheet on it bend my knees, pick it up using my other hand to balance
and guide the sheet and away I go.

-- As ever, Gus-the 76 yr young apprentice carpenter

View pitchnsplinters's profile

pitchnsplinters

#6 posted 08-15-2011 04:28 AM

I’ve hesitate using it for drywall for fear it will rip off a gorilla grip sized piece off the edge. Never a problem when handling sheet goods.

-- Just 'cause a cat has kittens in the oven, it don't make 'em biscuits.

View Rob's profile

Rob

#7 posted 02-19-2014 10:34 PM

cam1297 or anyone else who has a Gorilla Gripper, which size do you have? Apparently there are 3 sizes, depending on the thickness of materials you want to carry. I’m trying to decide if I should buy one of the larger sizes and make a shim that clips on for when I need to carry materials less than 3/4”.

Has anyone used a shim with the door-sized gripper to carry 1/2” plywood and drywall?

View cam1297's profile

cam1297

64 posts in 1957 days

#8 posted 02-19-2014 10:57 PM

I don’t really know. I wasn’t aware that there were multiple sizes. The one I bought was at a farm store and they only had one size.