Nice Rack With a Few Small Problems

Review by Jimi_C posted 07-04-2011 12:55 AM 3008 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice Rack With a Few Small Problems Nice Rack With a Few Small Problems Nice Rack With a Few Small Problems Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got done installing this and loading it up, so I thought I’d post a quick review. I saw Woodcraft had these on sale, and I was sick of having all my lumber on my basement floor, so I went and bought two. The instructions recommend a 4-6’ distance between racks, but I wanted to be able to store some shorter lumber on them so I spaced them every other stud, for ~ 32” and a total width of 8’. Each pair is rated at 100lbs per level, so this should give me the ability to hold 200lbs per level for longer boards.

Assembly was the most frustrating part. The racks simply slide down over the standards, and are held at each level with a set screw. The screw doesn’t attach the metal, the brace just rests on it via gravity. Those screws were the pain point – some of the holes were either not correctly drilled, or some of the screws were low quality because on 3 of them the threads actually folded over preventing the screw from grabbing and advancing. I had to take a file to the threads to remove the bent part, which was very frustrating. Once they were all assembled, attaching them to the wall was simple – just used three 1/4” x 4” hex-head lag bolts for each rack, making sure to hit the center of a stud (pre-drilled with a slightly undersized bit to prevent splitting). A spacer keeps the rack slightly off the wall, so there’s actually about 1.5” followed by 1/2” of drywall – leaving about 2” of lag bolt in the stud. I figure with three of them per upright, that should be plenty of grabbing power since I don’t actually plan on loading up 200lbs of wood per level.

The only downside is the fact that I got these racks for a recent Craigslist score (picture of my SUV loaded up). Unfortunately, the lumber I already had in my basement nearly filled it up! I could easily use two more sets, and I would definitely buy these again. If it weren’t for the issues with the set screws, I’d give this a 5/5, especially at just $40 per pair while on sale.

View thirdrail's profile

thirdrail

#1 posted 07-04-2011 02:34 AM

Gee, that seems like a chancy system compared to the Rockler version I bought at full catalog of $30/pr. Take a look at http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25156&filter=39227&pn=39227

Bart

-- Third rail

#2 posted 07-04-2011 02:38 AM

Chancy how? The racks felt rock solid once they were attached to the wall, and the steel does not seem wimpy in any way. Also, that Rockler system only has 3 levels – the thing I liked about this one was that it had 6 levels.

View John Daugherty's profile

John Daugherty

#3 posted 07-04-2011 02:22 PM

I’ve got this same set from when it was branded triton. It’s been great. I’ve got it loaded to the gills without any problem.

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

#4 posted 07-04-2011 05:10 PM

Looks great, and a good deal, were is it made ????

Thanks, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

#5 posted 07-04-2011 05:34 PM

@Delta356: China, unfortunately.

View rodneyh's profile

rodneyh

#6 posted 07-04-2011 07:54 PM

I’ve got 2 of these racks and 1 of the Rockler racks and love them both. I spaced mine 64” apart. For short boards, I covered 2 of the levels with long wide boards (that I know I won’t need anytime soon), and then put any short boards on top of them. You’d essentially double your space if you did that.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#7 posted 07-04-2011 08:03 PM

Actually, the Rocklers are a completely different system, offered by many makers. I’ve bought the heavy duty Lowes versions, as well as the Rocklers. Even with the setscrew issue, yours seems like a more stable design. If you’re worried about the setscrews holding power, you could always drill them out and place a peg/bolt. I think you did well.

#8 posted 07-04-2011 09:58 PM

@rodneyh: you can’t really see it, but I’ve got a window to the right, so the spacing on mine worked out just about perfect. I did consider using some plywood on at least one level to make a solid shelf that extended out a bit further for the small offcuts I have all over the place though.

@Bertha: Yeah, I considered getting a tap and using bolts instead of the screws. I’m not real concerned about them though, as the screws went in well – it was just the lower part of the threads that seemed to have issues. There were at least 2 full turns left after I filed off the bad part.

View devann's profile

devann

#9 posted 07-05-2011 06:36 AM

Jimi, your lumber racks look nice but looking at the wall framing I can see where I would add some fasteners at the floor joist/stud connection. A lag screw there would help. Myself I went for the DIY version.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

#10 posted 07-05-2011 06:42 AM

Yeah, the previous owner “finished” the basement (very loosely using that term – you can see he put in no kind of ceiling at all). I’m not too worried about that though, it would take a lot more force to shear those screws out than what I’m going to load onto these racks.

I did think about making my own – the Wood Whisperer just had a video on his build, but for $80 I didn’t think I could beat the cost of materials. It was easier just going with the pre-made system.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1390 days

#11 posted 07-05-2011 09:28 AM

I have these as well (and have reviewed them on this site) and luckily did not have any problem with the screws or any part of assembly. They are extremely sturdy.

@rodneyh, I did the exact same thing to hold all my shorts. lol great minds think alike.

#12 posted 07-05-2011 01:46 PM

@David I read your review, it was one of the things that convinced me to get this set :)

View Bret's profile

Bret

#13 posted 07-05-2011 08:06 PM

I just unpacked my set at our new house and have been eyeing up what part of the garage will house the racks. I also loaded mine up pretty well without any issues whatsoever, and also did the long-board-to-support-shorter-boards trick, though if I had it do do again, I probably would find some cubbyhole-type thing to store offcuts and shorter pieces in.

Congrats!

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#14 posted 07-07-2011 02:21 PM

I have this same lumber rack only with a different brand on it. I can’t remember which brand name is on mine, but they are the same thing. I have had mine for several years and have found it to be a very stable rack. Sometimes, I would like a little more vertical space between levels, but that is not a major problem.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Woodfix's profile

Woodfix

323 posts in 2050 days

#15 posted 07-17-2011 10:40 AM

Looks like it worked out okay in the end. need something like that myself but will probably knock it up rather than buy a product. Of course the downside is it will probably take me 4 times longer to do.

-- Living is a constant gamble, life is about working the odds in your favour