Neiko 9 pc. Heavy Duty Chrome Vanadium Wood Chisels set w/ Aluminum Case

Review by David Grimes posted 1017 days ago 4630 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Neiko 9 pc. Heavy Duty Chrome Vanadium Wood Chisels set w/ Aluminum Case Neiko 9 pc. Heavy Duty Chrome Vanadium Wood Chisels set w/ Aluminum Case Neiko 9 pc. Heavy Duty Chrome Vanadium Wood Chisels set w/ Aluminum Case Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Neiko 9 pc. chisels set includes 1/4” to 1 1/2”. They were surprisingly sharp out of the box. I have had them nearly a month, so have only used three of the chisels over two occasions with… well… chisel-like results.

When I received them, I did yank around on the handles (won’t budge), pounded the handle end with a smooth-faced framing hammer several times (rubber mallet not aggressive enough for the hammer test), and even purposefully dropped one of them handle-end down from 6 over feet to the concrete driveway. No problem.

I was half hoping they would be in need of a good sharpening out of the box, but since that’s not the case I’ll just have to wait and see how well they hold their factory edge, then how well they sharpen and hold that. Chrome Vanadium can vary greatly in hardness depending on the other alloy metals and the blend/mix of all (among other factors). Again, I’ll just have to wait and see.

I had seen these around at $90 for the set, but then I saw them on sale for $49.99 with case. I just had to give them a try.

I gave them four stars for now. They have passed a few tests already and failed none. I expect that they will do just fine for as long as I want to use them. I’ve never seen a pile of stubby half-length chisels from having een sharpened all the time, so I bet I get my money’s worth. If I make a wall mount for them, I’ll have a cool aluminum case for something else that doesn’t get used as much.

The only reason I didn’t put 5 stars on them is because I probably won’t ever get a peaceful and serene feeling of oneness with my chi, my street cred will not soar, nor will my neighbor ever coveteth these. But I just betcha my karma won’t take a hit over these inexpensive imported (from China) chisels.

Seriously, this appears to be a nice enough set well worth the $50 I spent.

Thanks for stopping in.

2071 posts in 1138 days

I have a couple of Neiko tools, specifically my digital caliper, and I believe one of my countersink sets are from them. They are decent enough. Glad to know their chisels seem to work well enough for you…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Rev_John's profile

Rev_John

Where did you get them? Thanks

-- John from Jackson, Michigan

Amazon.com $49.99 … but I see shipping is no longer free. It’s $8.48

2071 posts in 1138 days

Also at Ebay for $39.99 plus $12 shipping Better Deal…

View wastedalf's profile

wastedalf

So David, how have these lasted now that you’ve owned them for awhile? I recently purchased these off of Amazon, mostly because I wanted a full set on a limited budget. I’m curious to see how they’ve held up.

-- If the iron is blunt, and one does not sharpen the edge, he must use more strength, but wisdom helps one to succeed.

2071 posts in 1138 days

I have had no problems whatsoever. I have just maintain a sharp edge and use them like I own them ;)
They will last this lifetime I am certain.

View wastedalf's profile

wastedalf

Excellent, thanks for the input. I can rest easy now :)

2071 posts in 1138 days

Now if you are sensitive to the tool snobs’ raised eyebrows, then you better run away as fast as you can. ;) But you certainly may rest easy in my humble opinion.